1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wright Thompson knocks one deep

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Dec 19, 2009.

1. stickkeys108

stickkeys108 New Member

That's what I thought.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Good Lord I find it hard to believe any sports topic on a website is worth that many words.

3. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Wright has a unique style that is enjoyable for me in a change-of-pace sort of way. I do often get the feeling he's rambling, but that's something I just accept when I decide to read one of his stories. Sort of like accepting Bill Simmons' pop culture references or Joe Posnanski's swerves into nerd numbers.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Which is one reason why print journalism is dying. No one has time or the inclination to read epic stories.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

yeah. That's it. We're dying because no one wants to read 6,500 words in print.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Its not the only reason but it is a areason.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Could not disagree more. The argument that no one has time to read is utter bullshit. Print journalism honchos decided their readers didn't have time, then decimated the product to justify it. Big difference.

8. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I'm kind of in the middle on this. I think readers these days really, really, REALLY need a reason to read 6,500 words ... but they'll do it.

And yes, Playthrough is right about the assumptions made by our overlords.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I think the story, with regard to the Net, is way too long.
    It is, nonetheless, fascinating and intriguing.
    I love reading stuff like that.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I was listening to ESPN Radio yesterday and as a part of their year-in-review programming they replayed the E:60 piece that Wright did on noodling (catching catfish by hand, something I've actually done before). Audio only, but top-notch.

11. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

I chuckle every time a thread comes up about something Wright has written, and people bitch that the story is too long.

Wright is a long-form writer. There are very few people out there who do it as well. No, that style is obviously not for everyone, but neither is French cooking. To read Wright and bitch that the story is too long is the equivalent of going into a four star French restaurant and bitching that the food is too French or too rich.

Could it be shorter? Of course it could be shorter. Stories can always be shorter. But the folks who think shorter is always better should realize that they're expressing an opinion, not a commandment. Sometimes it seems like they've forgotten that.

12. smsu_scribe

smsu_scribe Guest

Good call, Jersey. It should pretty much be established by now that when you enter a Wright Thompson story, you're going to be reading a longer piece. Myself, I think it's refreshing to see ESPN putting some of its resources into long-form journalism.

Draft saved Draft deleted