1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wright Thompson knocks one deep

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Dec 19, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

This is simply amazing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?page=hotread14/Saints

Exceent work from Thompson...

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Gee, that never read like 6,500 plodding, overwritten words

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You're just jealous, slappy.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Doesn't this belong in the Wright Thompson forum?

5. stickkeys108

stickkeys108 New Member

Wright's a Mississippi guy, originally from Clarksdale, MS. He came and spoke at Ole Miss last school year during "Journalism Week" and I got the opportunity to listen to him for the hour and 15 minutes. It turned into a big story telling. It was awesome.

I don't even think he attended Ole Miss. Someone here probably knows.

6. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Agreed. Thompson is a tremendous writer and there were some great, vivid parts in that story, but I had to fight my way through that piece. He's done much better. MUCH better.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Nope. Mizzou.

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Could have been a touch shorter (I wonder if writing primarily for the web erodes one's discipline on length just a little bit...). But, still, a hell of a story. One of the handful of best magazine stories I've read this year. Also, I'm pretty impressed that he's basically been working it for six years, across two jobs.

EDIT: Whoops. I just realized this thread wasn't on Wright's story about Sweet Jimmy Robinson. Rare to see two stories by him in the same week. So I was confused. Haven't read this yet, but Sweet Jimmy was top notch.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He does live in Oxford these days, though. His dad used to be a big wheel in Democratic politics, serving as state finance chairman for several president campaigns.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I knew he was in Oxford, or down that way. Our paths crossed at Mizzou for a year or two, and I ran into him at the Ole Miss-Mizzou game in '07.

I enjoyed the read on New Orleans, especially the arc of the story. The comparison with Dallas at the end was some inspired stuff.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Like others, my only complaint is the length. (That's what she said.)

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Wright obviously uses his knowledge of New Orleans from his days at the Times-Picayune to do an excellent job for ESPN.com, where he is a senior writer. If you pay your dues and work hard, maybe you too may some day crank out something like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted