1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrestling writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jay Sherman, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Covered wrestling for the first time on Saturday, and it went pretty well, I think. However, I'm sure there are easy tricks to the trade that some of you grizzled veterans have picked up after writing wrestling for years.

I brought a notepad, wrote down the 14 weight classes and got the lineups for both teams at each weight, then wrote notes (poorly) during the matches as to how they were scoring points or anything else that I noticed. Any tips?

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Wrestling, to me, is like tennis and cross-country in that it is a series of individual matches for which a team score is eventually determined.
    Because of that, I always tried to focus on a key match, or a trend (ton of forfeits and over-matched weight classes leave two real matches, for example).

3. Find whoever is keeping score with the scorebook, and have he or she give you a 10-minute tutorial.

it's like keeping score in baseball, only even easier, and you've got your play-by-play:

It's easy, and you can keep your own in your notebook: T2, E1, R2, NF3, Fall (time).

The strategy of forfeiting, matchups is key, too, as Appgrad said.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would just get the results and do a feature on somebody. Who wants to read wrestling play-by-play?

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

As Appgrad said, focus on a specific match or trend. There is no point in trying to write a match by match gamer. I covered a few meets last year and usually a strong theme emerged -- team X had pins in all their wins, the match was close until the light weights when team Y dominated and those three wins in a row gave them a big lead; kid A beats kid B for the first time since losing to kid B in the state championship last year, etc.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Use the word 'grapplers' often and encourage its use in headlines.

There usually are a lot of storylines with wrestling teams or meets. Talk with coaches, parents and the wrestlers to see who is on a hot streak, rebounding from a loss, maybe has been sick, is a third-generation wrestler and so on.

7. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

I usually go with the biggest matchup as the lead and what the win means for the team.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You mean this thread doesn't involve Whitlock and two tons of mud?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

...have my deepest sympathies.

10. Merlin

Merlin New Member

I was in the same situation last year. Early on I asked the SID or whoever was keeping the score to go over scoring with me. It took no time to pick up on what was happening.

I went with a similar method, writing down each weight class on a line and keeping the score for each period (E1, T2, R2, etc.). During the match I would circle any key points and jot down a quick note nearby to reference later. As others have mentioned, a theme usually emerges during the dual. If one didn't, I would focus on the most interesting match/wrestler and just mention the others when reporting the score. I found that wrestling had some colorful characters.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

In some states, they begin at 103. In other states, they begin at a preselected weight class; I forget how that weight class is chosen. I've been told that can greatly alter strategy.

12. Beth Hudson

Beth Hudson New Member

Just my two cents as someone who's covered a ton of wrestling: If you're focusing on a specific bout, don't be afraid to ask the wrestlers for details about which moves they used for a pin or a key takedown. It's a bit daunting to cover the sport for the first time -- particularly if you didn't wrestle in high school (obviously, I didn't). The terminology is foreign to most outsiders. The more you stay around the sport, of course, the more you will pick up on your own.

Draft saved Draft deleted