1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrestling redundancy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Jun 14, 2006.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I don't know about NWA, but I know they have a ton of the old WWF shows (back when Vince Sr. was running things) on there each month.

2. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

AJ Styles + Samoa Joe + Fallen Angel > Anything in wrestling since I lost interest in the WWF in 2001.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwe247/

4. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

OK, that's pretty cool.

5. Song Seven

Song Seven Member

cha ching! relying on some mainstream accepted shit metallica song for ratings and overall hype/bullshit is a death sentence. sincerely, 1996. but this is pro wrestling fan we're talking about here.

you want some good shit? take a travel down youtube and find some decent shit from the mid 80s. ask gorrila monsoon RIP.

rack the oil, unrack your wrestling take. eliminate pro wresting and you have solved 5/8 of your roid problem in north america.

6. Derek_W

Derek_W Guest

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but those of you not happy with the current WWE product might be interested in checking out TNA wrestling.  It's on SpikeTV every Thursday, and features a lot better wrestling than anything you'll find on free TV from WWE these days.  Plus, the storylines aren't as cruddy.

Edit: For what it's worth, Sting, Christian, the Dudley Boys and Scott Steiner have all recently signed with TNA.  They also feature A.J Styles, Chris Daniels, Abyss, Samoa Joe, etc., who most people probably aren't familiar with but are all extremely talented.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

TNA is going through some growing pains and is overrelying a bit on the established names to get a decent rating (Sting, Jarrrett, Steiner, Christian), and the shows themselves aren't always terribly coherent or well-scripted, but there's a lot of pretty good in-ring performances. Samoa Joe (the guy in my sidepic, as some of you know) is everything Vince thinks he has with the Umaga dude (who isn't half-bad in his own right and has an entertaining manager in Armando Alejandro Estrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrada). The X Division guys (in essence a cruiserweight division, but with the latitude to allow a Joe in) are gifted, gifted workers.

This week's show (it's on at 11 p.m. EDT on Spike TV) hit a lot of high spots with the Joe-Steiner promo, Kevin Nash wrestling a midget (far funnier than it sounds) and a couple of decent tag team matches. It'll give you a fairly good idea of what they bring to the table.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The problems with TNA right now can be summed up in the following names: Scott Steiner and Kevin Nash. Both are so past their prime they're moldy. The one thing it has going for it is the X Division, but I refuse to watch anything with Steiner and Nash.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Quite honestly, I'd rather see Chris Daniels wrestle a corpse than the best Kevin Nash match. But then, I'm a mark for The Fallen Angel.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Actually, TNA has a pretty good handle on how they're using both. Steiner is there to get Joe over as a credible and mainstream threat in the eyes of the old WCW fans and casual fans who recognize Steiner. Nash is doing the same (we hope) for Chris Sabin, and his appearances are short and pretty entertaining.

If they give the title to Triple H Jeff Jarrett, though ...

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

According to Meltzer, there's going to be a title change tomorrow night. Christian's been decent and probably shouldn't lose the strap to anyone not named Samoa Joe.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Are you getting at all frustrated with how they book Daniels, though? It seems like he's always losing -- always having good matches, but always losing. I understand making Joe look good, but they made him (and Styles, for that matter) look like they weren't close to his plane over the long haul in their matches. Sure, they got in their awesome offense, but I dunno, I never got the feeling that either of them was about to pin Joe at any point in the matches I've seen. Then suddenly Styles and Daniels are best buds in a respect-my-foe team? I dunno, like you I'd rather see any of those guys over most of what you see on VinceTV, but still.

Also, if Christian's going to lose the title, I hope he turns heel. He's a lot more interesting that way. Problem is, pretty much all prominent names that get added inevitably turn face (Rhino, Billy Ass Gunn One whatever the fuck he calls himself now) because Jarrett still has to be the top heel. Either that, or they get thrust down the ladder or their pushes get overshadowed by whatever Jarrett's doing (Monty Brown and Abyss come to mind).

Draft saved Draft deleted