1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrestling redundancy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Jun 14, 2006.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

For one, I didn't know Justin Credible was Montoya. Holy hell. He was one of my favorite wrestlers, even though he sucked.

2. KYSportsWriter

No. I was just saying.

Didn't someone on here say it was supposed to be an alien that Sandman was supposed to beat? Or did I read that elsewhere?

Anywho, SciFi didn't like that angle and told Paul E to use a "zombie". But still, WTF was up with that vampire? He didn't do anything after the camera panned outside the arena and there he was. ???

The sad thing is, I don't think ECW will ever be done "right". Vince won't let it be ECW...He has to have complete control of it for fear of Paul E leaving the WWE altogether and starting another war or something stupid with WWE.

And the "creative team" sucks. [/statingtheobvious]

3. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

what were you talking about here?

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Erich Kulas was a 400 pound 17 year old in 1996. He lived in Massachusetts.

He went to an ECW show in Revere, Mass. One of the ECW wrestlers missed the show. Kulas had forged documentation and volunteered to fill in. He was placed in a match with New Jack. Kulas asked New Jack to cut him. New Jack went too far, nearly splitting the kid's head open. Kulas had blood streaming down his face. After the match, EMT's rushed the kid to the hospital.

5. NDub

NDub Guest

The WCW Nitro days with the NWO and Goldberg and the WWF days of DX, Ministry and Stone Cold were marvelous. That was my wrestling-watching hayday. I started when I was about 11 and ended when I was about 17-18. I'm 23 now. ECW was hardly on cable channels so I had to watch tapes that some buddy's recorded. That shit was straight-up hardcore back in the day. It is too bad WCW folded and ECW was bought out because wrestling is not what it was just 5-6 years ago. And, yes, I've watched a few episodes of RAW over the past 2-3 years to know that WWE is going nowhere but down.

Side note: Does anyone remember when Undertaker threw Mankind off of the cage in Hell in a Cell? Christ. I'll never forget that match.

6. Stupid

Stupid Member

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Steph hates the very idea of bringing ECW back. Shane wanted ECW to be Internet-only (as in, "You wanna watch? Tune in to WWE.com!") Have no idea what Vince was or is thinking, but he was ECW's invisible partner for a long time.

But it can't be WWE Raw is ECW, which is what it's shaping up to be. What I saw last night was something that would make Stephanie feel safe.

If Paulie Dangerously doesn't like the product, eventually he'll leave and every shred of ECW credibility will leave with him.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

You sir, are correct. The WWE version of ECW will kill off ECW fans and the memory of what it used to be.

According to Meltzer, Vince is spending a lot of time thinking and rethinking match finishes and pushes. Thought is good. Constant indecision that frustrates his staffers is not.

Look at the first ECW on TNN. Paulie was so frustrated with TNN that he gave them a tape of a RVD-Jerry Lynn PPV match.

9. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

To deviate for a moment ...

I watched and followed WWF and WCW for about seven good years, from 1990 to sometime during 1996. It was marvelous, at least for me. In hindsight, McMahon had cartoonized the WWF even then (I figured out that much after watching videos from the '70s and '80s) but it didn't matter because my elementary-school mind enjoyed the cartoon.

My Dad and I went to shows every month at Richfield Coliseum, and I watched PPVs over at friends' houses. I collected action figures and posters, read the magazines, charted Top 10 lists on the bus with my closest wrestling friends and, yes, wrestled with my Dad in the living room after dinner. Good times.

If I had a son now, though, I wouldn't let him watch that stuff. It's darker than it was 15 years ago and too racy. I wish we some hypothetical Pro Wrestling Channel existed so we could watch decades-old matches and be happy. Damn you VKM.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

11. KYSportsWriter

Hey, OHB, that's WWE 24/7 you're talking about.

12. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Does WWE 24/7 include just WWF stuff, or does it encompass all the old regional shows (NWA and the like)?

Draft saved Draft deleted