1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrestling redundancy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Jun 14, 2006.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

There is only one family that ECW is friendly towards. That is the Gambino's.

During last night's show, the camera caught two ten-year old boys in the crowd, both wearing Rey Mysterio t-shirts. That hurts ECW's credibility. During its heyday, kids were not a part of an ECW crowd. And for good reason.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm on DirecTV and haven't watched McMahon's dreck in years, so I've never heard of WWE 24/7. Does it show old matches from the other promotions?

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Yes. It updates the listings about twice a month. I'll post what all it has later sometime.

And HB, Rey used to be in ECW. I know he's WWE now, but ECW gave him his start in the states.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I know Rey worked for Paul E in 1995 and 1996. I just think his character today is too WWE-ized, too cartoonishy for ECW fans.

5. KYSportsWriter

And that's why a lot of the old WCW stars (Sting, Luger, Steiner brothers) held out when Vince bought out Ted Turner.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Well that, and those wrestlers didn't want Vince to buy out their contracts at 50 cents to the dollar...

7. KYSportsWriter

That too.

I know a lot of the wrestlers still had 3 or more years left on their WCW contracts. But I'm glad Sting didn't jump to WWE. There's no telling what Vince would have done with him.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Random responses:

* Sting probably would have been left alone as Sting, but he'd job to HHH three straight times, then call him the greatest wrestler of all time.

* ECW on July 4 is supposed to be taped/live/whatever from what used to be the ECW Arena. My hope is that Vince gets pissed enough at the universally angry reaction to the show that he decides to make dramatic changes, but not so pissed that he pulls the plug before that date. That way, he'll see the ECW fans in all their greatness and realize that even if it costs him to add a few taping days to the calendar, something he's been resistant in doing, it'll benefit the brand in the long run. It's funny — they have the house shows down pat (smaller arenas in the northeast), but they're willing to make the TV show look like B-grade Smackdown to cut costs.

* You mean the SciFi network doesn't want a repeat of Orton swallows! *clap clap clapclapclap*? Newsflash to SciFi, as if they couldn't have known this already: ECW fans make the Cameron Crazies sound like the U-9 Prairie Roses girls soccer team parents. Apparently WWE was more or less forced into using a NBC Universal network, and SciFi was the only option. There had been talk that USA might be interested in having WWE turn one of its two WWE Raw A.M. repeat slots into an ECW hour, specifically the 2 a.m. Saturday slot that gets surprisingly good ratings, like a 1.3 or something. That would be so much more appropriate for ECW than prime time on Geeks Central.

* The Zombie gave a better promo than half the WWE roster.

* One other thing they need to do is give ECW wrestlers a reason to exist other than to chant "E-C-W!" backstage. Justin Credible fails at life, yes, but he *was* a former ECW champion, so maybe it'd be nice to explain to the new who this guy is other than "bald X-Pacish looking dude who's getting pwn3d by Kurt Angle". They also need an influx of talent, be it OVW guys like C.M. Punk, a raid on the ROH roster, or maybe they get all their nickels and dimes gathered up and take a run at my boy Samoa Joe. A Joe-Angle 60-minute match at ECW Arena? I'm there.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The truly frightening part is that you're dead on.

Along with the July 4th show, they are running a June 24 house show at the Arena. Those crowds will let Vince and Co. know that the show has problems. In a perverse way, I do hope The Zombie shows up. The reaction he'll receive will be off the charts, and not in a good way.

The biggest change Vince needs to make, vis a vis ECW, is to leave it alone. Let Heyman write the shows and watch ECW bring in money. 

Well, between the Orton swallows! and Fuck John Cena and Lawler takes it up the ass, doo-dah, doo-dah chants, Sci-Fi and WWE would spend a lot of time cutting checks to the FCC for indencency. 

Taz and Styles completely buried him. And they were great in doing it.

Those were two truly ridiculous segments. I've watched ECW for a long time and I never saw a dozen wrestlers chanting E-C-W for no reason. It was stupid and pathetic, as if ECW was re-launched just to fail miserably. The Justin Incredible ("Now, that's not just the coolest. Now, that's not just the best. That was Just-In-Credible!")-Kurt Angle match blew chunks. I like the MMA/UFC gimmick for Angle; it should save his body some wear-and-tear. But what good did it do Justin? He's not in Angle's class, but he was a fairly entertaining heel during his run.

The OVW guys, specifically Punk, would jump start the roster. I'd pay to see Punk-Angle, Punk-RVD, Punk-Tommy Dreamer feuds. He could be a Raven-esque heel if booked properly.

For all of the talk about ECW on Sci-Fi being a disaster--and, it was--it pulled a 2.8 rating. That is the highest rating ever for a non-PPV ECW show. http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/news/headlines/default.asp?aID=16566 http://www.100megsfree4.com/wiawrestling/pages/ecw/ecwtnn.htm

10. UFC is croakng WWE. Why watch McMahon's product if you can watch real fights with real grudges and larger-than-life characters?

11. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Two nights in a row of John Cena beating on ECW guys...and non-ECW fans are supposed to take it seriously? It killed me to watch Justin Credible get treated like a little bitch, even if he looks like a weaselly little bastard.

Whoever said that Cena, Edge, etc. should be kept off ECW television is right. If they were going to bring back big ECW names like Dreamer, Sandman, Sabu, etc., then build THEM up. We already know that Angle's solid. We already know Show's big. You'll bring the fans in, though, by developing Sandman (who could get over pretty well with new fans...am I alone on this?) and Sabu into legit world title threats.

Also, can we get a few other old ECW names? Guys like Steve Corino, Lance Storm, Mikey Whipwreck, etc.?

12. KYSportsWriter

That's exactly how I feel, ER. Well said.

Isn't Lance Storm in TNA? And I think I read somewhere that he will never work for McMahon as long as he is in the biz.

Draft saved Draft deleted