1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrestling redundancy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I don't watch wrestling very often, I catch it maybe once a month or so, and ususally just as background noise or something to kill time with.
    I have observed though that they have run completely out of ideas as to what to do with the plot or even new characters, so much so that they have brought back the likes of Hogan a couple of years ago, Mick FOley, LoD, hacksaw Jim Dugan, Sgt. Slaughter. Tatonka, I think I saw Steamboat make an appearance, and now they have just brought back DX (fronted of course by the pushing 40 HBK and HHH - youthful rebellion or what?) and a host of other old characters who havelong since lived out their worth and are just hanging on as well as ressurectiong the ECW. Saddly though the one wrestler they haven't brought back who could actually still physically wrestle would be the Rock. i mean what's next? are they going to talk the Bsh whakers back into action?

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It's a sad state of the times for the entertainment industry

3. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

The lack of competition has made the WWE stale, as many people predicted it would. I haven't watched, more than the occasional passing glance, in years.

A co-worker loaned me the Road Warriors documentary that the WWE put out last year. It's really interesting. When they first broke on the scene, there were at least three bigtime regional promotions, so you could build your rep and move from place to place. Apparently, it kept things fresh for audiences because of the turnover, among other things.

Now that there's only one major promotion, and especially when that promotion is run by who it's run by, wrestling's going to remain in the tank for a while.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And given the horrifically boring and missing-on-every-cylinder restart they gave ECW last night, even when they have an okay idea they're going to blow it. At least the fans reacted to DX, so they'll get a few weeks out of that. But guys, you can't run an "ECW" show in a Smackdown arena and without giving any character development to any of the wrestlers while making everyone who didn't come from WWE (RVD, Kurt Angle, Big Show) look like retards.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Wrestling needs video replay. Yeah, it slows down the matches but in the end, the most important thing is to get the calls right.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

All you have to do is watch the ECW DVD that WWE came out with a few years back to see how bad the current product is these days. EC-dub rocked!

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I was such a fan of EC-Dub back in the day...

I went to a few of their live shows around my parts back in 98-99 and they were CRAZY. RVD doing a flip from the top rope onto a guy in the third row, New Jack doing a swan dive off a balcony onto Justin Credible on a table. Even the fans were nuts.

Today's version is a pale comparison. But I guess it's better than just watching WWE.

8. Dynasty99

Dynasty99 Member

Theyre just trying to get the fans from back when those characters were actually wrestling in there prime. I mean I used to watch and intruiged by all the ECW, DX stuff but eventually all that shit gets old and done over and over. Now what would be cool is if they had the steriod freaks wrestle bums. Itd be Bum Fights meets Bonds on Bonds.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

LOL!

Much like in the SEC, they would just find a way to screw up the instant replay, too.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

ECW sucked last night, but it's the first show. Give it time and it will get better...hopefully. The only highlight of the show was that little striptease from that one hot chick. :eek:

They had a zombie and a vampire make appearances last night. WTF? I loved watching Sandman beat the holy hell out of that dude, but come on, a zombie?

And Vince needs to get his fucking ass off TV and run the show from Stamford. But he won't listen to the fans, who he keeps losing week in and week out. Vince doesn't care about the fans anymore...that's why we're seeing old ideas (Tatanka, DX, Great Khali, Old Kane) rehashed today.

I've got two words for Vince McMahon: SUCK IT!

11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

The ratio of serious posts to jokes is outstanding.

I had no idea anyone still watched that crap.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I've watched it in the past weeks because of DX coming back.

Draft saved Draft deleted