1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrestling question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

So why don't wrestlers wear cups? I just watched a kid get hit so hard (on accident) that he started crying and had to use injury time.

Is there a reason they don't/aren't allowed to?

Yes, I are serious cat. This is serious thread.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I would imagine that they'd get in the way with leg moves, etc.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've never wrestled, but from watching it, I'm going to give this one a guess. The chances of you getting hit in the junk are actually a lot smaller than having your package sandwiched to the mat. Wearing a cup not only would be quite cumbersome, but would put an extreme amount of pressure -- and pain -- on the outlining regions of the cup. When a wrestler is riding someone into the mat for three minutes (just an estimation on a regular, seven-minute match), that area is going to become very, very sore, and thus, quite painful.

That's just a guess, though.

I got hit in the cup during baseball a few times, and each time it fucking hurt. The nuts were OK, but that area stung for quite a while.

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs,

In karate we didn't wear them because if a cup shifted and you got squared, the edge of the cup itself would crush your testicle worse than the blow. Shift is more of a problem with kicks and the like (tho' I didn't know anyone in judo who used one either). I image that the grappling could cause cup shift--wrestlers are so dirty they'd find a way to use shifting to their advantage.

YD&OHS, etc

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I wrestled for three-years and never hurt my junk once. Ankles, shoulders, head, whatever else, yeah. But never the junk.

A cup would make it harder to be mobile and flexible on the mat. And I've seen a lack of a cup ever be an issue.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Photographer a couple of stops ago had a great photo I can't find now...
    One wrestler is caught in a move, but the wrestler behind him has grabbed his junk. Front wrestlers eyes are truly bugging out of his head.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That sounds pretty fucking painful....Yikes.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Yeah, I would think the grabbing would be an issue, too. Anyway, thanks for the answers!

Draft saved Draft deleted