1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrestling Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Nov 13, 2013.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

So little Law comes home last week (9th grader) and says he saw a wrestling demo during his gym class and he's going to join up.

I wrestled in 10th & 11th grades, not great but not many 98 lbers so I was one of 2. Though I left because of the weight issues (why am I watching/losing weight when I'm so damn small already?), I loved it and always remember being in the best shape of my life then.

I suggested this to him and his younger brother the last few years and neither were into it, so I let it drop.

Little Law is not the most outgoing guy and we were not sure how he'd acclimate to the big HS, he had stopped baseball last year. Golf was not until Spring, and he'd dropped band as well. Well cross-country made for a nice soft landing.

Wrestling though is even better, I picked him up after practice and he announces "It was awesome!" I watched a bit of the end of practice and the memories come flooding back, great feeling. We had to go buy some wrestling shoes so we have dinner together and start talking Dan Gable and half-nelsons.
    (We're definitely watching "Vision Quest" and "Half Nelson" this weekend.)

Man it was heartwarming.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Tell him about the Montreal Screwjob.

(I kid, I kid)

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would never do it. I respect the hell out of people who do it. And I also understand that there are some very passionate involved in the sport.

One strange sidebar is how wrestling stops once you leave school. It's a very odd subculture of adults that wrestle recreationally. Very odd.

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Watch "Lengendary" and see John Cena pretend to know how to mat wrestle like high schoolers do.

5. maberger

maberger Member

don't watch half nelson with him unless you want him develop a heroin habit. it's not a wrestling movie.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You're right, I meant that Paul Giamatti movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted