1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrestling, girls and the Catholic Church

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Oct 2, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Pennsylvania's Catholic bishops forbid boys to wrestle girls.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/30/us-usa-pennsylvania-wrestling-idUSKCN0HP2IF20140930

Just for background, NWCA Online has 35 girls in Pennsylvania who figured in a decision in varsity matches last season.

2. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

This takes me back to my own high school days. We were playing football against a smaller private school and they had a few girls who played on the line. As those of you who have played line or covered football may know, one of the moves you can make as an offensive lineman to gain leverage and drive block is to push up under the shoulder pads or kind of grab underneath them.

My buddy did that, not knowing he was lining up against a girl, and wondered why the player across from him went off the field crying. It was JV ball and I guess the young lady's coaches hadn't yet taught her that technique. It's a part of the game though.

As for the bishops, I don't know. I'm sure a lot of kids, even Catholic kids, do a lot more immodest things and actually have the intention of doing so. On the mats, I'm sure these kids are just trying to win a match and, in some more rural areas, if the girls aren't competing, there probably would be some weight classes with not much competition at all.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

But fucking little boys is still A-OK.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Especially in Pennsylvania. That bishop has a lot of gall talking about "substantial and potentially immodest physical contact" after what has gone on in that state over the past 20 years. And, that's WITHOUT the Penn State scandal.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

ISIS forbids the same practice. Sharia law in that diocese

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If girls are wrestling boys that leaves less boys for priests to wrestle.

Someone should tell this guy to Google "Anthony Bevilacqua" and STFU.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

High school kids in Pennsylvania should cling to their guns and their religion, not each other!

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

And John Krol.

And Justin Rigali.

And Joe Cistone.

And David Walls.

And ...

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

But the girls are more than welcome onto the suicide bombing team.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Totally agree. The Catholic church lost all credibility to preach to the rest of us after centuries of pedophilia.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hey, they work just as hard.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You could do the "butt drag" with two fingers.

Draft saved Draft deleted