1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrestling agate question, ASAP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Dec 2, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I know, man. You see it a ton early in the season, watching the clearly supreme guys -- the PIAA state champs -- messing with others' head and perfecting their crafts. I spoke to a two-time champion once after a 76-second pin (or something around there), and he said, "Well, my coach wanted to build up my endurance and work on a few things, so I did some work on my mechanics before I pinned him. ..."

It was fitting.

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I've thought about the paragraph form for the obvious space-saving aspect, but it just never looked right to me -- kind of like turning football scoring plays into a 'graph instead of line by line.
    I always put in the time of the pin, when it's provided (you'd be surprised how many times it's not -- or you might not). Again, as in football, it's part of what happened. An area paper does its football box scores without putting in the time of the score and it just doesn't look right to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted