1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrestling agate question, ASAP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Dec 2, 2008.

1. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Papers still run wrestling agate? This is the Internet age people.

2. azom

azom Member

I hope this is sarcasm, but I can't tell.

3. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

mike311gd,

Although I don't have a problem with your style, with both of our styles, you're still forcing the readers to add up the team points in their head (unless you add a running score at the end).

Unless you know that your readers understand the wrestling team scoring system, again, what is the point of saying decision, major decision or tech fall? Unless, of course, you have a tagline at the top or the bottom that reads (pin=xx points, forfeit/DQ=xx points, tech fall=xx points, maj. dec.=xx points and dec.=xx points). Then I could understand why.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If it's a dual meet in any sport, you can save all the school identifiers for the individual match losers.

If Joe Smith (Team A) defeats Mike Jones, it's implicit that Jones is from Team B.

Obviously if more than two schools are involved, that goes out the window.

5. Central-KY-Kid

Starman,

Wouldn't saying "Smith def. Jones, 0:46" mean it's implicit the match was a pin?

Wouldn't saying "Smith def. Jones, 6-4" mean it's implict the match was a decision?

So would you really need pin or decision in either instance?

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You haven't been away from agate THAT long.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Because I like the way we do it, and I'm not going to change it.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

To branch on that a bit more: That format leaves little to be questioned, assuming people do know the scoring system -- as most who read wrestling do. It's clear, descriptive and not overdone. What more do you want from agate?

9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

You guys get tech fall times reported? We're lucky if some of the schools get the right scores sent to us. Can't tell you how many times I've gone over what's been turned and found big scoring errors, called the coach and got it figured out -- and it's not always penalty points. Sometimes the stat people just can't add.

10. Central-KY-Kid

Then why wouldn't this work?

WEST XX, EAST XX
    PODUNK -- Results from Tuesday's match at Cameron Indoor Stadium:
    103: Sammy Smith, W, def. Tommy Toyota, 1:03 (6-0)
    112: Frank Ford, E, def. Jimmy Jones, 16-4 (6-4)
    119: Timmy Thomas, W, def. Cameron Camry, 6-4, OT (9-4)

People who read wrestling can tell the 103 match was a pin, the 112 was a major decision and 119 was a decision.

They would also know the team scores after each match (which is NOT available using the style I first presented or your style since we're both forcing the readers to add up the scores in their heads).

Seems like a simple compromise.

Also, if a match starts at say the 145-pound class (instead of 103), should the agate be that way, too?

Not picking a bone, but we've had some regular season duals start at different weight classes, while the region and state finals always begin with 103 and end with 285/heavyweight.

11. You can have a 15-point difference in a match where a technical fall is not awarded and the winning wrestler on gets four team points. If you do not record any near-fall points and win by 15, you are not credited with a technical fall. I've never seen it happen, and I've never heard of it in our area (a wrestling heavy area of Pennsylvania), but it is very possible.

And as a wrestling fan myself, I want to see times with technical falls. Like someone already said, a 21-6 win in 2:56 is far different than a 21-6 win in 5:56.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I agree, I always ask what weight they started at. At my new paper, the coaches have been taken a back from the question at first. I thought it was common knowledge. It just makes sense -- that is how the scoring happened. Last night the match I was at started at 160...so that's where the agate starts.
    It would be like running a list of scoring in football based on uniform numbers!

Draft saved Draft deleted