1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrecked my laptop

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I've had my laptop for about eight months. I haven't used it heavily, mostly when I'm traveling. Tonight I was in a place where there were no electrical outlets where I could plug it in. I was trying to save battery power so I tried to shut it off.
    But it wouldn't let me.
    It was installing updates to Windows Vista and it was on the second of 15 updates in a very time-consuming process that was being done at a very inopportune time. Because I was going to need to use the computer again in an hour or so, I shut it off, just pressing the power switch.
    Apparently that was a huge mistake.
    When I turned it back on, Windows didn't open. I got an error message on a black screen saying Windows was not properly shut down. I had two options, run a repair program or try to restart Windows (for some reason there was no safe mode).
    I tried both options and neither one worked. I could not get Windows to open.
    Hindsight being 20/20, I should have just let all the updates install regardless of how long it took, but is there anything I can do now? I had no idea that just turning off the power could cause that big a problem. Is there a chance it might be covered under warranty?
    By the way, next time I'm getting a Mac.

2. restart it, holding the buttons for safe mode -- is it control-shift-f8? you probably just need to try to reboot one more time.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Sounds like you mucked up a driver. No idea what the current Windows update fixes, though --- too damn many of 'em and MS is too damn secretive about what's being updated unless you're willing to dig deep.

If you can't reboot in safe mode (or at all) and then use System Restore to go back to the last restore point, you may have to reinstall from the disc(s) that came with the computer.

4. remove the battery

unplug it

hold down the power switch for a minute

put battery back in

you should boot back up

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

This is strange. I just turned it on again and everything worked fine. Then it shut down without any trouble.
    I hope it fixed itself whatever it was.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Windows can be finicky like that. Just be glad it's your laptop doing the one-time ghosts in the machine and not your vehicle.

Draft saved Draft deleted