1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wreck on assignment

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shoeless Joe, Jul 29, 2008.

1. The hog off the truck story is one of the better journalism tales I've ever heard. My wife likes to tell about how she had to stop at a certain point in a road every day on the way to work at one point because a goat always charged into the road at the sound of her car. But that pales in comparison.

I do have a question on an earlier post however: why the heck should you be drug-tested if you're bitten by a dog? What, you were high and angered the dog? Stupid.

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I wasn't bitten by the dog, and I wasn't drug tested either.
    The car tire was bitten. I don't know if they ever tested the tire.

3. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Drug tests are more a formality to cover the company's asses, any corporation will do it, not just newspapers. It's their way of having it on file so if the accident goes to court whether it was your fault or theirs and the person that hit you/you hit wants to try to squeeze a few bucks out or keep from paying for your vehicle by claiming you were drunk or under the influence the paper's lawyer will have the drug test on file to call bullshit. It's a normal HR move. It's got nothing to do whether your boss thought you were drunk or stoned.

I got in an accident last year, I was driving a company car and was run off the road by some dumb bitch driving without a license driving her father's car which had no insurance. My company car was totaled (and was never replaced). I was told I had to go to the hospital to get checked out by a doc and was told I needed to take a drug test while I was there (our HR rep, who was very cool, explained the reasoning above). Workman's comp picked up the tab for everything, which is where it turned into a pain in the ass, the insurance company that called me basically gave me the third degree and made me feel like a criminal. They asked me if I took a drug test, then asked if I passed. After telling her yes I took it and I assume I passed it, since I know I'm clean she then says, "Well, I have the test right here and you passed it." Well then why the fuck did you ask?? There were a number of other shady questions that were asked that really pissed me off and feel like I was the one at fault!

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I got a flat tire once. Those nails can be tricky. I got it plugged after the Saturday afternoon football game and took the bill for $13.94 into the office on Monday. They said, "There's nothing we can do."

I miss that place.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I have never heard it called that. It's a Tennessee Walking Horse.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think that any hog with the gumption to leap to safety from a moving livestock truck ought to be able to run free and not have some sports writer calling the cops on it.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I guess this doesn't exactly fit what you were asking, but I once totaled a STAFF car while on assignment.

Didn't see a stop sign while crossing a state highway and got smacked by an armored truck doing about 60. The car was in the shape of a U when I got out.

The paper really didn't give me that much shit about it, even though I was totally at fault. In fact, I had my girlfriend (soon to be fiance, now wife) in the car with me, even though I apparently had signed something saying I wouldn't have any non-employee in the car with me.

She broke her collarbone, and the paper (or, I guess, the paper's insurance) paid her medical bills anyway.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You are not just Some Guy, you are one lucky sonofabitch.

9. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Just wondering, was this farm between Pixley and Hooterville?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I hope fossy didn't turn Arnold into bacon.

11. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

It's worker's comp, baby! Didn't cost me a dime.

It's standard stuff, best I can tell. I should have known it was coming. What irked me the most is I asked the clown at the reception desk where the bathroom is. Five minutes later, I'm asked to pee in a cup.

Did I mention that I got treated at a clinic of the local hospital that does nothing but industrial/worker's comp stuff? You would have thought the receptionist would have known about the pee-in-the-cup thing.

On the flip side, I got a free Sprite out of the deal.

@ Fossy: Great stories. Loved 'em.

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

You mean gay sex raises your rates? That's not fair!

Draft saved Draft deleted