1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wreck on assignment

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shoeless Joe, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Has anyone ever had a wreck on assignment? What's your company's coverage?

One of our photographers was run off the road last week by a drunk, and it totaled his Jeep. He was basically told "sorry" although he was headed somewhere that he was sent by the company that he otherwise wouldn't be. To make matters worse, they screwed up the photo assignment and was sending him on the wrong day.

That's totally fucked. ???

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I had a friend who got into a wreck on assignment, and the first thing the company did was gave her a drug test ...

3. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Time to bust out a lawyer, it would seem.

4. I had a friend who rear-ended another car on assignment, got given a drug test the minute he came back to the office, failed it and was gone two days later. He said he'd smoked a joint on Xmas with his brother, which was about three weeks before said wreck.

Know what he does now? He's a middle school teacher, and a damn good one. Funny how the world works.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

If you're under the scope of employment, and not negligent (e.g., on drugs/alcohol in the system/reckless driving/speeding), the company should be responsible for your damages.

However, if you press that too much, don't expect to survive the next round of layoffs.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

This guy was totally a victim. I don't think he'll mind to push them too far. He retires in a couple of years and said he's looking forward to starting a lawn care business. This may make his retirement come sooner rather than later.

7. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

* raises hand *

Happened in 1994 on the 610 Loop in Houston. I was trying to get off onto 45 to get into downtown Houston to cover a trial (I was working in the burbs at the time) when I looked in my rear view and saw nothing but truck grill. Next thing I know, I'm spinning across four lanes of early rush hour traffic. I remember tapping the center divider and looking out the windshield and seeing cars coming toward me. I was lucky as hell to walk away from that one with only a total '89 Honda Accord hatchback, one of the greatest cars ever made.

My insurance company paid for the car. All the paper did was give me the rest of the day off to deal with the wreck.

When I got bit by a dog earlier this year, though, I went to the company-specified doctor who deals with our workers comp claims. Yes, I was drug-tested, which from what I understand is SOP in these kind of things. The worst part about that is I used the men's 5 minutes before they gave me the cup. D'oh!

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I backed into a pole at spring training back in 1997. The paper paid for everything, but my rates got seriously jacked as a result.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Aren't the polls usually closed in March?

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

If you're required to use your car for work, you're required to have a "business insurance policy."

If you chance it and don't, you're shit out of luck.

However, SOME insurance companies allow you to use your car for work "occasionally" (in my case, a personal insurance policy allows you to use your car three times a month for work) and therefore you're covered.

But, if you're not at fault. It shouldn't matter. That's why we all (are supposed) to pay insurance.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Really? That would cover a good majority of us on here. Any idea how much extra per month/or six months it costs to have a business insurance policy on top of your normal policy?

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

If the paper paid for everything that means you didnlt file an insurance claim. So why did your rates go up?

Draft saved Draft deleted