1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrapping the week of the 4th: This should be our Natl Anthem and official singer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Jul 8, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

There was a movement around 1976 to change the National Anthem to America. The movement didn't go to far.

2. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Re: Wrapping the week of the 4th: This should be our Natl Anthem and official si

This may just put me at the top of Yawn's Commie List, but I personally don't feel that a country such as ours should have the word God in its national anthem, or it's pledge of allegiance, etc.

EDIT

Also, the scene in Hunt for Red October with the guys on the sub singing the USSR anthem is incredibly stirring.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Re: Wrapping the week of the 4th: This should be our Natl Anthem and official si

Here's the one you need to get used to hearing, Yawn.

Coming soon to a podium near you, Summer 2008.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I agree. As many struggle to believe, the seperation of church and goverment is there to PROTECT religion, not destroy it.

5. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

And moreover, the whole point of the nation was to build a place that allowed for religious freedom, a safe haven for all people. Granted, the forefathers might not have been thinking about atheists, agnostics, and others for whom "God" means nothing, but they still set things up so that those folks would be comfortable, safe, and free. Having any endorsement of any deity, whatsoever, in national symbols, goes quite a bit against that.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The Constitution says Freedom of religion ... not freedom from religion.

Something the aetheists never understand.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'll give the commies credit. The Soviet Union national anthem may be the best ever. Bill Conlin had his greatest line on the Sports Reporters one time, after the breakup of the former Soviet Union. He said the Olympics weren't as interesting unless we were going against a country with a national anthem that "scared the hell out of us."

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Good call on Red October, Mert. After hearing it done very dynamically in that movie, I for a while became a national anthem buff.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Maybe that is why the Pledge of Allegience wasn't written with "Under God" in it and the National Anthem never had "god" in it. Call me crazy, but had the authors thought god was all that necessary for the country, they would have included it.

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Pssst...hey reverend....

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Big difference between establishing a "religion" and acknowledging a generic creator.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I think the seawater was rehabilitated along with Bukharin back during Perestroika, but I'm not positive. Back then, they were making many ideological revisions in the party brine.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Psst, acknowledging a "generic" creator would be establishing that one in fact exists. To many people, that just isn't true.

Also, find out where "under God" exists in the original Pledge.

Draft saved Draft deleted