1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WPS owners decide to cancel 2012 season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BrendaStarr, Jan 30, 2012.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think the one way a women's league would work is to pair the teams with MLS teams and operate women's teams as amateur or semi-pro "sister" clubs. Play the games before the MLS games as double headers, and maybe play a few standalone games in small venues around the club's hometown.

British clubs do some variation of this, but I honestly have no idea how it works.

It would take some creative financials to get it to break even. If it's going to have any success at all, you'll need to have people like Hope Solo, Abby Wambach, Alex Morgan and Megan Rapinoe involved, and I don't know exactly how you make that happen. You could try a system where each team has two salaried players and the rest are amateurs, but I don't know if that's feasible. Maybe it's worth it to US Soccer to subsidize it somehow. I don't know.

Bottom line, right now there just isn't the support for a full women's pro league. WPS became a bit of a joke, but when a league is in trouble it's pretty damn hard to try to hold the line on basic standards. If you're desperate for owners, can you really turn your nose up at an asshole with money who wants to move a team and rename it FC Magicjack? And that may not even be the dumbest team name. Sky Blue FC? WTF? I actually saw a Sky Blue FC game on TV, and I just now Googled the team to find out where they were located. And when you go to their home page, you STILL won't know where they play. (The answer: New Jersey. Because if you think New Jersey, you think "Blue Skies.")

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Guess I'll continue waiting for sj's first "Woo, Pig Sooie!" thread.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

WPS did have a couple of partnerships, unlike the more independent WUSA.

But the league's days were clearly numbered when the Los Angeles Sol folded after just one season. They had the best player, the best stadium, the strongest cross-ownership with a thriving MLS team (even if AEG really wanted no part of the team longterm).

But AEG couldn't find anyone to buy them, so they folded.

Then St. Louis, which is supposed to be this big soccer mecca, folded its franchise.

magicJack has been the most interesting story, frankly.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As I've said before and I'll say again and again -- if the idea that "participation = fandom" were true, wouldn't that mean we have 100 million former football players in America right now, including roughly 40 million women who used to play?

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Damn, I was worried Microsoft put a kibosh on the 2012 Works season...

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Add to the list the S.F. Bay area, where the defending champs folded.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Now we'll never get FC Slap Chop

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Maybe this is the way the women's league ought to go. Teams name themselves after their sponsor, much like Japanese baseball teams do.

magicJack vs. FC Slap Chop
    Shamwow FC vs. Team Ahhh Bra
    Oxi Clean United vs. Priceline Negotiators
    Real eHarmony vs. Chia Pet Athletic

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

This made me laugh very, very hard.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_WSL

It has barely gotten off the ground over there. Pay is pretty much peanuts, but they have 16 teams involved.

I think it would be a good idea to perhaps attach a women's league to MLS, but they would have to be financially independent. Look, if Nike and Gatorade want to throw a shit ton of cash at Hope Solo, Abby Wambach and Alex Morgan to promote their products, I think those stars should speak up and ask these companies to throw some scratch at women's professional or semi-pro soccer infrastructure.

Six to 10 clubs involved would be a good start. Cluster the teams. Hell, I think Portland, Seattle and Vancouver would be a great West Coast cluster. You have more progressive fan bases in those cities and I would think at least a portion of the fan bases would come out to support anything with the Sounders, Timbers or Whitecaps logo. Maybe put a three-team cluster in the Northeast too (the Midwest has enough trouble with the men's teams). Play 12 regular season games in the cluster. Have the teams from the West and East meet at the end of the season for a championship. Don't overpay anyone. If the money isn't there, amateur it is. Just have something going to keep it breathing.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Right because the MLS is making so much money...

I applaud the MLS and am very glad it's lasted as long as it has, but the notion that it can carry another league the way the NBA has carried the WNBA is absurd.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And until Nellie screwed the pooch in right field on the first final strike, the parallels between the two series were striking.

(GRRRRRRRRRRRR.)

Draft saved Draft deleted