1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WPS owners decide to cancel 2012 season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BrendaStarr, Jan 30, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When I first saw the story I thought it was World Poker Series. You wonder if the MLS might do something - partner some women's teams with the men's teams, keep operating costs low by sharing expenses and facilities. Stage double-headers.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It is always funny to see Starmans doomsday predictions. He has been ever so accurate in the past. How's that 37% the players were going to have to settle for? Or how about the NFL players?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Interesting. Any guesses as to why?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sometimes I like to pretend Starman is a parody account. It reads funny that way.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why would MLS take its tenuous but improving financial footing and destroy it with something that is now and forevermore nothing but a money-suck?

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

There's a women's soccer league?

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not that it would ever be done, but the NBA seems more compelling with 15 fewer games

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think part of it is that by happy accident, they had a great opening to the season. I'm not a huge NBA guy, and I think I watched 4 of the 5 Christmas day games. Ordinarily that's when a lot of people start paying attention to the NBA. This year you had that, combined with the novelty of it being a delayed opening day, along with some great matchups. I suspect a lot of people got sucked back in on Christmas and have followed the season more than they have recently.

If I'm David Stern, I'm thinking very hard about pushing the schedule back a few months from now on, and making Christmas the annual opening day.

On top of that, there are a lot of compelling players and stories in the league right now. The teams that have been up the last few years are still interesting, and some teams that have sucked are becoming interesting for one reason or another. The Clippers are suddenly fun to watch. The Thunder continues to improve. Hell, I just watched half of a Wizards game to see John Wall. (They're unspeakably awful, by the way, and will probably poison his career. They need to dynamite that roster.) The quality of play is pretty bad right now, thanks to the lost camp and the crowded schedule, but the quality of player is higher than it has been in years.

I was one of those who thought (a) they were probably going to miss the year, and (b) the league would take a huge hit as a result. I was wrong about (a), obviously, and in retrospect I probably would have been wrong about (b) even if they lost the full season.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Holy smokes, I never dreamed SportsJournalists.com had turned into one of the world's biggest pom-pom shaking societies for the WNBA.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Kumbaya, motherf***er!

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This.

As for women's soccer, it had become a shell of what it was, and no West Coast presence to speak of. And didn't magicjack have the best-known players off the World Cup team?

There is a market for soccer in the US and Canada, as MLS keeps proving. It's not translating to the women's game.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Every time the USWNT has a big tournament, they get greedy and overreach. You can't support a whole league, but I bet a touring all-star team would do well.

Draft saved Draft deleted