1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WPS owners decide to cancel 2012 season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BrendaStarr, Jan 30, 2012.

1. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Haven't a lot of the NBA owners sold off the WNBA teams? The Rockets' owner sold Comets, only to have the franchise suspend operations a year later.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I follow sports closely and the fact I had to open this thread to find out what WPS is should say a lot.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There's no direct link any more but there's still a lot of partial co-ownership, etc etc., mainly through the arenas.

If the arena management doesn't think they're breaking even by throwing open the doors and selling hot dogs and popcorn to 2,000 people, they'll pull the plug.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i seriously did not know there was a women's pro soccer league in the u.s. whodathunkit?

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

If there's only one reason the WNBA will stick around, it's that it fills arena dates in the summer (which is different, of course, from filling the arenas).

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I thought you spelled WSOP wrong.

Carry on.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's what I thought. I would have guessed the "P" stood for Poker.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Damn it!

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They just hemorrhaged a swimming-pool-full of their OWN money in the lockout, and it's still gushing.

NBA attendance has crashed; TV ratings are plummeting. At some point very very soon they are going to cut bait on the WNBA and pull the plug.

Some kind of women's pro basketball league will probably survive in some format but it'll probably be in smaller markets, in smaller arenas.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

WNBA ain't going anywhere as long as Stern is commish.

For them to fold would mean Stern would have to admit he failed at something. And that's not something he does.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

NBA TV ratings are plummeting? You sure? I've heard quite the opposite the past two seasons from just about every source. Game 6 of the Finals got a bigger audience than Game 6 of the World Series.

Stern will have to leave before the WNBA dies. (Baron beat me to it.)

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

ESPN's NBA ratings are up 31% over the same time period last season.

TNT's NBA ratings are up 70% over the same time period last season.

NBA TV's ratings are up 68% over the same time period last season.

We should all plummet like the NBA.

Draft saved Draft deleted