1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wowsers ... DII title game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Mar 24, 2007.

1. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Barton's run to the title was incredible. It should have lost in the second round, could have lost in the semis and should have lost the final.

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

As the designer building the home-paper Barton wrap, I am just happy it was Atkinson who made the shot.... He was money all year. I'm even more excited that our writer there got the layup on film, this will be one of the greatest fronts I'll ever have the privilege to design.

3. Stupid

Stupid Member

Actually Barton trailed West Virginia St. in the regional semifinals by 13 with 4 and a half minutes and won by 1. Atkinson scored the final five points as the team went on a 16-2 run.

Last year in the first round of the Elite Eight, Barton lost to Winona in OT. Barton went on to win all 9 of its 9 OT games this year, an NCAA record (as well as 4 in a row and 6 on the road). Barton lost one of its best players for 2 months (Alejo Barovero, not Atkinson) and he came back just before the season's stretch drive. Barton lost its top recruit to a broken ankle.

That the Bulldogs even made it back to the Elite Eight, much less won it in thrilling fashion over 3 games just boggles my mind. As the ASE for the paper that covers Barton regularly, the challenge has been writing about something that goes beyond description.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Your writer got the layup on film? ? ?
    WTF?

5. Stupid

Stupid Member

Not really film since it's a digital camera but he was the only photog on the screen as Atkinson went in for the winner.

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

One of the best finishes ever. A few days earlier I watched the four OT NAIA semifinal. Some good college hoops is being played right now. Lets hope Final Four weekend can provide some as well.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I covered one this year.

8. Stupid

Stupid Member

I'm sure there are quite a few of the offensive-rebound-and-putback-buzzer-beater variety but not as many uncontested layup variety.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

You can make a distinction between a buzzer-beating layup and a buzzer-beating tip-in/follow shot. Cosmo, the game you covered didn't involve a follow shot?

10. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I liked Atkinson's celebration. .. It was World Cup-esque. Either way, I'll concur. ... Fantastic finish.

Can you imagine if Gus Johnson would have called this one?

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

"The NCAA Division II Tournament. On CBS! HA HAAAAA!!!"

(I'll cut Gus Johnson a break ... he can overdramatize, but I'd take him over Jim Nantz and Billy Packer, who sound as if they'd rather attend a series of funerals.)

12. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Oh no doubt; I don't mind Johnson.

But you forgot, "MARCH MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Draft saved Draft deleted