1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wowsers ... DII title game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Mar 24, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

That's one of the best finishes I have ever seen.
    Kinda glad I had the TV on to watch it.
    To recap Winona State had the lead, Barton tied it with a layup with 7 seconds left. Winona drives the back up the court, Barton gets the steal, drives to the rim and the ball goes out of the guard's hand with .1 seconds left, it falls and Barton wins.
    Winona hadn't lost since Jan 2006.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The Barton player is wide open and continues to drive to the basket. I'm thinking the time is going to expire, but he releases the ball on a layup just before the buzzer and Barton wins. One of the wildest finishes to a national-title game I've ever seen.

If the time had expired when he could have taken a wide-open jumper, he would have felt terrible. Now he's a hero.

3. Best finish in any NCAA tournament game of any kind in three years.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And suddenly, I'm ticked because I made a mental note to watch it last night but forgot. Sounds like a great finish.

5. ondeadline

I don't recall EVER seeing a buzz-beating layup at any level. The reason is obvious: to be a buzzer-beating layup, you release the ball with tenths-of-a-second left in the game.

6. You were up late, burning incense below your picture of Tom Kvisto.
    I know you.
    Only parallel I can come up with is Lo Charles in 1983.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The announcers said Barton was in North Carolina, but I thought Barton was in Kansas.
    Of course, two schools could have the same names.
    I'm searching the memory banks and I can't remember a similar finish to a basketball game that I have ever seen at any level.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The Barton in Kansas is a very athletic-oriented JC.

And I, too, wish I hadn't missed this game.

9. ondeadline

This is the Barton College that is in Wilson, N.C. The school used to be known as Atlantic Christian College until the late 1980s.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

It was a great finish. Was watching the Reds' spring training game and turned the TV to CBS just in time to watch the last minute. Barton was down five when I turned it on and that was one of the best finishes to a championship game I can remember in a long while.

11. KP

KP Active Member

The guy that hit the lay-up knocked down a 3 at the buzzer in OT for a 2-point win over Grand Valley St. in the quarterfinals. He then made a free throw and intentionally missed the second with 1.5 seconds left to give Barton a 1-point win over CSU-San Bernardino in the semis.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

My buddy and co-worker is in Las Vegas now, no doubt cursing the fact Barton won.

He went to Cal State San Bernardino, a vastly more athletic team that Barton beat in the semis by a point.

Draft saved Draft deleted