1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wow

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter Burns, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/joe_posnanski/11/05/sports.politics/index.html

This, in my mind, is what sportswriting is supposed to do. It's about life's triumphs, but it's more than games.

And the last sentence just left me speechless.

2. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

If you're not a regular reader of the Kansas City Star, you may not know this, but Joe has written some absolutely epic columns about Buck O'Neil. The one he wrote when Buck died was particularly memorable.

3. I've said this before on other threads about Posnanski , but it's worth repeating. "The Soul of Baseball" is a fantastic book.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Damn, man. This is ridiculous. How can one guy be so good?

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Yeah, that's what she said." :D

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Incredible. I'd read that man if he wrote a phone book.

His stories on Buck O'Neil never get old. Glad I was lucky enough to meet Buck once.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I did an item on the sports writing and editing blog (which I'm actually trying to update now) about that last paragraph.

Many writers -- you'd be surprised, I see it way too often -- would mess up that last paragraph by putting the attribution at the end.

8. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

That's one of the first things I tell my reporters. Attribute quotes as soon as you can, not necessarily at the end.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Terrific column. Posnanski nails it again.

10. silentbob

silentbob Member

Joe might be the best going today.

I need to go out and get that book.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Hey Bob, there's a thing now called the Interwebs where you type in a few characters, click on that mouse thing a few times and someone actually will bring the book -- maybe even a nicely preserved used copy at a great price, in just a couple of days -- right to your door! ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted