1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wow - who knew Jeff Foxworthy had this in him?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Apr 23, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So do you think Foxworthy would rail against the Rascal Flats sometime? Life Is A Highway ...

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Iwill. God, I hate those talentless hacks.

I'd rather dig out my eardrums with a rusty spoon than listen to that guy's voice.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Easy to say, but . . .

. . . for all the love Hank Williams gets on this board, if he was just starting out today, and if his music was exactly the same, he would be laughed at and mocked.

That's just how this board works.

The best way to be a popular singer is to have sung . . . a generation ago.

We all have selected memories about the past. Cherish the good stuff, forget the dreck.

4. Fenian - you made a blanket statement about "not PC" and now you would put in qualifiers. You should be more careful with your words. I'm not close to the country music fan imjustagirl is but blanket statements are almost always wrong and you should know that.

You wrote that you couldn't view the clip but you were still espousing your views - typing out of ignorance as it were. Foxworthy was hardly waving his religion around "like he's going to spike the Gospels in the end zone". It is those sorts of comments that make people think of you as an elitist. So sorry if the "on high" comment struck a cord but it doesn't make it any less true.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

There's a reason Bret Michaels, Tom Keifer and a ton of guys from hair metal bands are now Nashville producers. Hell, Mutt Lange was one of the best producers in hair metal and he went country too.

I love hair metal. I just don't like it with a country twang (although I do love Carrie Underwood and Shania Twain).

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

That speech is a bucket full of crap - and yes I listened to it. Like country music is the only music that good, hard workin' people can listen to?

I guess I find it so annoying because I live in the South and this whole "self righteous, we live our life the right way" thing gets old.

Does country music suck? I don't know I don't listen to it. But I'm guessing that 90 percent of what's played on the radio sucks, so there you go.

7. Junior - on this board you try to come off as some sort of expert on American politics, literature, rock music, folk music and now country music? is there nothing you can't do or don't know everthing about? If you are as smart as you claim to be on this board - then curing cancer should be a snap for a know-it-all like you.

Of course if you did try to cure cancer - all that would happen would be you cursing out the patients for not getting better and not appreciating your brilliance and wit while their bodies are consumed from within.

No Junior - the truth is you are a tired old man who cannot stay in a marriage because you keep annoying the hell out of people with your incessant need to be an expert on every fucking thing under the sun.

Oh and as an editor - you should know that Neanderthal is supposed to be capitalized. (But of course you knew that)

8. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Man, Jeff Foxworthy really fires up the blood.

9. You really are not worth the trouble.
    I didn't comment specifically on the speech until I could get it to load. Now that I have, I commented on it. I made the remark about "waving the Gospels" around based on his touching theological statement within the speech. I stand by it. It's prototypical fake-pious Red State horseshit, and I don't believe Foxworthy's sincere for half-a-second.
    In fact, I get just a touch tired of lectures on mama-diddy-and-family coming from states that lead the country in divorce and domestic violence, lectures on patriotism from states that don't have as many people coming home in boxes as New York or (per capita) Vermont do, lectures on Americanism coming from states that wave a banner of treason and claim it for the heritage, and lectures on much of anything from redneck stand-ups so, no, I didn't think much of Jeff's talk. It was faux Cultural Warrior swill.
    I did comment on something another poster who had seen the clip quoted from it. As it turns out, that poster quoted Mr. Foxworthy accurately. IMHO, country music as it appears on most country stations across the country sincerely blows goats. (So does most pop music on the radio, for that matter.) I didn't need to see Jeff Foxworthy's Second Inaugural to conclude that.
    And if you're going to continue to toss around JR's personal life as a rhetorical handball, you're an indecent clown and no respectable person should waste his time with you. In fact, it should be enough to get your sorry ass banned.
    Sorry, IJAG, this isn't meant for you.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to I like what I like and you like what you like, and as long as we're not bothering each other, cool?

11. Which states have the highest percentages of the population that contribute to charity?

Hint: I don't think most of them border an ocean.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Fuck you, that's what happened to it!

Just kidding, Dangerator. Promise.

Draft saved Draft deleted