1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wow - who knew Jeff Foxworthy had this in him?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Apr 23, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Well, that's a difference in you and I. I'm completely fine with radio airplay. I never like "indie" stuff as much as I like the stuff that's easier to listen to and find.

That's me. And I'm tired of being judged for it. So yes...maybe I like pap. But I do.

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Had to go away for a while, but I stand by my assessment, even as it should have been in half-sarcasm font, for reasons that others here have pointed out. And this is coming from someone who likes Foxworthy.

However, simply stating that I don't care for the music would have been a better choice of words.

My apologies to the board's country fans.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It was a better world when country and western songs were written about mama ... or trains ... or trucks ... or prison ... or getting drunk.

RIP Steve Goodman.

And FU David Allan Cole, you fucking racist.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I shouldn't have called you a douche. I'm just touchy because I DO like some country music, and I'm far from an uneducated redneck. I'm tired of having to defend myself when I say I like Brad Paisley or anything like that.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How does one "pretend to be country" anyway? And what is a "blue-state" audience, since most states aren't more than 55-45 on one side or another?

And there must be a lot of blue-staters buying their latest album, which, 11 months after its release, is still in the top 5 on the country charts.

6. Oz - many artists and music groups have a sincerity and genuineness with their early offerings because the music and lyrics are coming from within. How many times have you seen artists and groups lose that feel for who they really are after fame and fortune grace their door? They end up losing their audience because they try to please too many people instead of being themselves. The chicks have morphed from who they were into a formula band who is nothing like what they were when they first burst on the scene. Their audience has gone from country to pop (see covers of Stevie Nicks songs for exhibit A) though the chicks would have you believe they are still country. It is very rare for a group or artist to be able to change their music and still be true to themselves - Ray Charles is an example of one who was able to accomplish it.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Don't ask Johnny what the music's about.

[​IMG]

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I miss the early Dixie Chicks. Their first two albums are two of my favorites.

Since then? Barf.

9. Marie Osmond used to sing that she was "a little bit country" - which I guess when compared to the music the chicks are putting out now - would be a true statement. She sold lots of records too.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That they're still in the top 5 may speak to the current dreck being released by country artists. The current group of popular artists isn't nearly as good as what was being released just 10 years ago. It's pop rock, entirely too similar to the hair metal of the late '80s.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's why I love my XM Radio. Hear stuff you'll never here on the commercial radio

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

XM pretty much saved music for me. I miss my XM receiver more than my truck right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted