1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wow - who knew Jeff Foxworthy had this in him?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Apr 23, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I did. Good speech about the music. Too bad the industry doesn't follow those words. The part about God, I hear forgive and forget. And yet, the Dixie Chicks stuggle for country radio airplay. No politics there.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jeff Foxworthy channeling Mitch Albom. Unadulterated hooey.

Yeah, and nothing political about Toby Keith's "Courtesy of the Red White and Blue".

Today's country music has about as much to do with the genre as Diana Krall has to do with jazz vocals.

Ear pablum.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Have you forgotten," Jeff, about that pandering, political piece of manure by Darryl Worley?

And I'm still having a hard time forgiving Sara Evans for this:

[​IMG]

4. The Chicks have made millions by pretending to be country and yet pandering to blue state audiences. You could easily make the argument that they are the very type of phony act that Foxworthy was railing against.

And of course JR jumps in and pretends to be an expert on country music in the UNITED STATES. What a friggin clown.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Were they phony when they made "Travelin' Soldier" years ago? Was that made with blue state audiences in mind?

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Careful, Chris, or the Prime Minister will recall Shania Twain - and you'll be left with nothing but Celine Dion and the soft-lumber trade agreements.

7. Banning books is a different animal than proclaiming that being crude and stupid equals being brave. Opie and Anthony are not Mark Twain.
    If he really believes country music "doesn't take political sides," he might be a redneck.
    I am glad he believes in God. I don't know why he insists on waving it around like he's going to spike the Gospels in the end zone, but since that's Ninja Move 1A in the Culture Warrior handbook, I'm not surprised.
    Chris, is it possible for you to once reply without taking your intellectual insecurities out for a walk, please? Nobody's talking to you from "on high" unless you've voluntarily genuflected. We're just talking here. Who would you cite as a popular modern country artist -- i.e., one that gets played regularly on the radio? -- as the very top of the form, one that could stand with George Jones, or Loretta Lynn, or Merle Haggard? (We'll leave Hank Williams out of this, because it wouldn't be fair.)
    Are people who don't listen to country not "real people"?
    Yes, you're the salt of the earth, Jeff.
    Go in peace.

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

"IRAQ AND ROLL"

Words and Music by Clint Black and Hayden Nicholas

YOU CAN WAVE YOUR SIGNS IN PROTEST
    AGAINST AMERICA TAKING STANDS
    THE STANDS AMERICA'S TAKEN
    ARE THE REASON THAT YOU CAN

IF EVERYONE WOULD GO FOR PEACE
    THERE'D BE NO NEED FOR WAR
    BUT WE CAN'T IGNORE THE DEVIL
    HE'LL KEEP COMING BACK FOR MORE

SOME SEE THIS IN BLACK AND WHITE
    OTHERS ONLY GRAY
    WE'RE NOT BEGGING FOR A FIGHT
    NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY

WE HAVE THE RESOLUTION
    THAT SHOULD PUT'EM ALL TO SHAME
    BUT IT'S A DIFFERENT KIND OF DEADLINE
    WHEN I'M CALLED IN THE GAME

CHORUS
    I RAQ, I RACK'EM UP AND I ROLL
    I'M BACK AND I'M A HIGH TECH GI JOE
    I PRAY FOR PEACE, PREPARE FOR WAR
    AND I NEVER WILL FORGET
    THERE'S NO PRICE TOO HIGH FOR FREEDOM
    SO BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU TREAD

THIS TERROR ISN'T MAN TO MAN
    THEY CAN BE NO MORE THAN COWARDS
    IF THEY WON'T SHOW US THEIR WEAPONS
    WE MIGHT HAVE TO SHOW THEM OURS

IT MIGHT BE A SMART BOMB
    THEY FIND STUPID PEOPLE TOO
    AND IF YOU STAND WITH THE LIKES OF SADDAM
    ONE JUST MIIGHT FIND YOU

CHORUS II
    I ROCK, I RACK'EM UP AND I ROLL
    I'M BACK AND I'M A HIGH TECH GI JOE
    I'VE GOT INFRARED, I'VE GOT GPS AND I'VE GOT THAT GOOD OLD FASHIONED LEAD
    THERE'S NO PRICE TOO HIGH FOR FREEDOM
    SO BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU TREAD

BRIDGE
    NOW YOU CAN COME ALONG
    OR YOU CAN STAY BEHIND
    OR YOU CAN GET OUT OF THE WAY
    BUT OUR TROOPS TAKE OUT THE GARBAGE
    FOR THE GOOD OLD U.S.A.

IN THE USA
    I'M TALKIN' ABOUT THE USA

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

George Strait.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And Chris L comes up with a comment that's dumb even by his usual neanderthal standards.

Based on his love for the Foxworthy speech, we should be calling him Chris Hallmark.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wow. While patriotic, those are some lousy lyrics.

12. A reach, IJAG, but he's better than most of them, I'll grant you that. I still think most of the great country gets released on indy labels that have to fight to get heard on college stations, let alone the megawatts.

And, not for nothing, Jeff, but the people who have lost the most brave souls per capita in the current clusterfuck happen to be the granola-crunching hippies in Vermont who elected Howard Dean as their governor.

Draft saved Draft deleted