1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wow, tonight's SNL is really funny . . . just kidding

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Apr 25, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My 13-year old nephew thinks it's funny. Compare the entire season of SNL to last week's The Daily Show slam on Fox News and it isn't even close.
    The Obama sketches on SNL just aren't funny, they've had two years to find an angle and haven't come up with anything.
    I think another problem SNL has is that pop culture has become (like media in general) so fractured that when you make a skit up about Steve Harvey guest hosting Millionaire (which he did) and not being able to pronounce the answers (apparently also true) most people just don't get it.
    It used to have its pick of on-air talent and writers, now it competes with seven or eight daily night time shows, cable shows, and the web and has suffered with the downturn in standup comedy.
    The show probably could use some Canadiens.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I love that skit. I wish they would do more weird crap like "What's Up With That" as opposed to the lame Obama impersonations. Heck, just do a ton of Biden or Palin stuff instead; that's actually funny.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The "Cherry Battle" digital short was one of the oddest things I've seen on there. But I bailed after WU. Seth Meyers is the only reason I stuck around that long.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I miss Horatio Sanz... but only when he was doing his Aaron Neville impression and cooing for cocoa butter.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Actually, SNL has been pretty funny in the past year and a half. The presidential characters, Justin Timberlake's episodes as host and his cameos. I'm on a Boat got nominated for a freakin' Grammy award.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Seth Meyers are Fred Armisen are the two reasons why I hate SNL so much these days.

Armisen's Obama is one of the laziest impressions in the show's history.

Meyers is the worst Weekend Update anchor in the history of the show. At least when Dennis Miller laughed at his own jokes it was because they were funny.

Sidibe was dreadful.

7. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Only recent SNL I thought was funny was when Jon Hamm hosted, and that was over a year ago. He was terrific.

8. Mizzougrad96

I might have missed Hamm this season. The only one from this season that I remember standing out was when Galifianakis hosted. Even that one wasn't anything too special, but had some really funny skits.

I've heard on a couple podcasts that when he went on, he had a lot of his own ideas, which were the sketches that did the best.

Last season ended on such a high note, with Timberlake and Ferrell both doing excellent shows. Nothing has even come close to touching that this season.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Taylor Swift was funny, maybe it was because I never thought of her as funny.
    Tina Fey delivered.
    I think both, and Galifianakis, benefitted because they wrote some of their own stuff or had their own ideas.

10. billikens

billikens Member

I'd never seen the "just kidding" character before. Is that seriously recurring? It was enough to make me change the channel.

11. Mizzougrad96

Kristen Wiig is very funny. She's been very good in the films she's done.

Her SNL characters are fucking dreadful. I can't think of a single one she's done that is even remotely watchable. Target Lady is like a fork on a chalkboard.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I didn't think the episode was that awful.
    Lots of new sketches and new characters.
    And the host, when was the last time you saw someone that excited to host SNL? I mean, the girl couldn't even get half her lines out right. I thought it was endearing.
    Lots of the show were just odd, but in a delightful way. The Cherry Battle was so weird, it was really funny.
    On the other hand, nothing on SNL was as weird as Tim and Eric on Sunday night.

Draft saved Draft deleted