1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wow... this was a new one for me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by amraeder, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Happen to me? How do you think I supplement my income enough to buy groceries?

2. Way back in the day, a desk guy at my old newspaper used to shake down the commissioners of Little Leagues for bribes in order to list their scores.
    When I started, he was still there, and bragging about it.

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

Hope that A-hole got fired!

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Wait, so you took the money, right AM?

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Guy didn't pony up enough. I have expensive tastes. Keyboards don't diamond-encrust themselves.

6. ATM?

I told my boss and publisher we should allow people to buy their way out of the court and police reports.
    Charge an exorbitant fee, say a $1,000
    BUT .. create a separate listing for those individuals who opt to pay up to keep their good name out of the paper - without listing the criminal charge.

7. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

The closest I come is when we're running notices about leagues forming and signups and whoever I'm talking to asks if there's any charge.
    I had more than a fleeting thought to say, "Yeah, 20 bucks to the Walter Burns retirement fund."

8. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

I could see myself being cordial up until that point. What a dick.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No doubt. Not that I would ever think about taking the money, but if there was any doubt, that would have done it.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'd tell him I'd want 30 percent of whatever the boosters gave the family or $2,000, whichever is more. Add $1,000 if he wants it above the fold.

11. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

My reply, "Alright, if I need it, that's the price to keep me from writing about you trying to bribe me in my next column. Take it or leave it."

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

After about pick seven, I'd have walked over to the dad and said, "You know, I'm gonna do that story now. Free of charge."

Draft saved Draft deleted