1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wow. So people still do karaoke--ONE FLOOR BELOW ME!!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Nov 8, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

So wifey and I just moved to a new apartment. We love it. It's the best. Bigger than the last dump, far more storage space. Huge kitchen. Washer and dryer, so now I no longer look at quarters in increments of five as I prepare for another trip to the laundromat.

Downstairs neighbors--married couple with two pre-teen kids--are nice. Really nice. Super nice. Kids call me Ray Romano. The dad is a handyman who helped me install my new washer. By help me install, I mean he installed it.

But...umm...they sing karaoke. And not in an ironic manner, either, after getting shit-faced at the bar.

I mean they sing karaoke in their living room. Like, now. And, like, for the last several nights at this time. It's their new hobby. The wife told my wife they just bought the karaoke kit and look forward to singing every day after work. Apparently, they are the last people in America to get on the karaoke bandwagon. I live upstairs from the deep_backgrounds of fads.

It's not the noise I mind. It's 8 pm, who cares what kind of noise you make. I'm sure they hear me watching BYH Classic or horror movies like "Wolf Creek" at 5 am.

It's, how should I put this, that the guy sings like two cats grudgefucking. He just murdered the Elvis classics "Can't Help Falling In Love" and "Stuck On You." Yesterday, he slaughtered "With Or Without You." And earlier today, someone--God I hope it was his wife--was singing the Divinyls' ode to self-pleasure "I Touch Myself."

So every night, as we eat dinner, my wife and I pause to hear what song they are trying to sing. Good times.

I just had to share this. I can't believe my neighbors are karaoking.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Just start making requests. Of songs you don't really like so that when they butcher it at least it's somewhat humerous.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Haha. My wife suggested that tonight.

Of course, if they have "Rock Me Tonite," I may move down there permanently.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Buy a bass guitar and a really big amp and put the amp face down on the floor. After you've struck a few chords and the pictures of the kids, and perhaps the kids themselves, have crashed to the floor, they just might stop.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

People actually sit in their homes and sing karaoke as a hobby? That seems very odd to me.
    Don't get me wrong. I love to sing. I sing all the time.
    But I don't own a karaoke machine. When I want to sing — in the shower, doing the dishes, etc. — I just sing.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'm all about singing in the car to my stereo. Apparently there was a study done that singing in your car keeps you more alert on the long drives. I so want to believe that.

7. The Dizzle

The Dizzle Member

BYH, perhaps you and the wife should get shit-faced and go join them.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

SING SOME SKYN'RD, MAN!

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think he's getting there. He sang Kenny Rogers tonight.

And, inexplicably, Lionel Richie's "Stuck On You."

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Nobody else thinks this is as odd as I do?
    I spent three years in the Pacific. People love karaoke there. Filipinos, Chamorros, Hawaiians, Palauans — they love to sing karaoke.
    I've hung out in karaoke lounges hundreds of times.
    I knew people who owned their own karaoke machines.
    But they used the karaoke machines at parties. They didn't sit around the house singing karaoke after work every night.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I do think it's insanely odd. But I figured if the complex took BYH, maybe you had to be a freak to rent an apartment.

12. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Requests to make:

Sister Christian
    99 Red Balloons
    Never Gonna Give You Up
    Our House
    Safety Dance

Draft saved Draft deleted