1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wow, I haven't seen this many white people in the Super Dome since. . .

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by daemon, Sep 25, 2006.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

But Spike Lee is there!

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Ask yourself this:

If tonight was supposed to be about community - about recovery, solidarity and the renewal of the human spirit, why not give the tickets away? Why not invite every poor soul who had to spend the aftermath there last year and treat them to a single NFL game for free? One game.

Especially since they're the ones who paid for the repairs to the Superdome with their tax dollars.

Tonight is symbolic, certainly, but not in the way anyone seems to have intended.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Amen.

4. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Most people I know who suffered are just happy the Saints are back in town. As Suzy Kolber just said, the city doesn't come back without a tourism base, and that doesn't happen without a Superdome.

But since you brought it up, I didn't see this much hand-wringing here about tax dollars to support FEMA and other governmental agencies in the five days people were waiting to be rescued from rooftops. But, I suppose now it's appropriate, now that people in New Orleans can be happy just for one day.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I haven't been to that many NFL stadiums, but what always struck me about the games in the Dome for the Saints was the mix of black and white of the crowd, much more than, say, a Giants or Jets home game. And always a good-time, party atmosphere.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

How could they lose so much? They were poor.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Wow. Does that cost extra? Do you get time to regain the ability to walk afterwards?

I'm just wondering.

8. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Typo. Glad to see New Orleans is just a punch line now. Out.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yes, the memories I have from attending or covering Saints games involve seeing the tons of Atlanta fans who'd make the trip over each season for this specific game. They'd be wearing their Vick jerseys and all that red get-up. (Back in the day of the Grits Blitz, there weren't too many "Fulton Kuykendall" or "Bartkowski" or "White Shoes" Johnson authentic jerseys.)
    Anyway, in this particular rivalry (one of the biggest in the NFL) the Falcon fans who've made the trip have always been 80 percent black.
    I wonder if they are there tonight. It does not appear so, but who can tell unless you are actually there.

Yuck!, they just zoomed in on Benson and his skybox.
    Carry on

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Suzy: Spend money. The city needs you.
    Mike: Spend money. The city needs you.
    Guest hosts: Spend money. The city needs you.
    Joe: There's going to be a lot of problems with WRs moving their body without their legs.
    Tony: What the fuck?

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Moe: All right -- you got everything you want? The chef cooked for you special -- the dancers will

kick your tongue out, and your credit is good. Draw chips for everybody in the room so they can play on the house.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well according to Stuart Scott, most of the people at the game tonight were the same ones that spent the nights in the Superdome during Katrina.

Draft saved Draft deleted