1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wow! Golf photos worth a few minutes if you have time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 28, 2007.

1. thanks for that, orville. pretty neat

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The Amish photo where they play with hickory shafts and gutta perchas was pretty cool. Reminds me of the course on Mackinac Island in northern Michigan where you can play with the older equipment.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not bad. Laughed at the Pebble Beach photo...notice there are five players on the green. As if the pace of play there isn't glacial already.

4. Has anyone played on sand greens? How does that work?

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Playing in flip-flops?

6. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

You hit your ball onto the green. There is a track already made on the green (where you can see the guy putting from). You pull a string from the cup to your ball, then swing that string around to the track and place your ball a similar distance from the hole. then you putt. it's pretty cool ... pretty common in the midwest where keeping the grass is kinda tough at times in the summer.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Has anyone played Pebble Beach? It's on my dad's "Things to Do Before I Die" list, and I'd love to experience it with him.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Did a feature on playing sand greens in our coverage area once. Met a coach and his players at the course, where I got the chance to try it. Definitely a unique experience.

9. Not Amish. It's a late 1880's period course The course is in southern West Virginia just near the Virginia border. It's a stone's throw from The Greenbrier and The Homestead. Lewis Keller, one of the men in the photo is the owner.
    It boasts being the first golf course in America. Don't know if that is true or not.
    It is not cheap. It costs about half the price of a round at the Greenbrier.

http://www.oakhurstlinks.com/

Start saving.
    Pebble Beach is one - if not the most expensive public courses in the nation to play. The last time I checked, I think a round was over $600. Golf Digest or someone often compiles a list of the most expensive. Pebble Beach and The Greenbrier (one of my favorites) are always high on the list.
    I've never heard anybody complain about either.

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

A friend of mine, his company held their annual retreat at Greenbrier. He called me to say it was the best course he had ever played on and my buddy has played on some good ones.

Loved the photos, especially the ones from Alaska! Thanks for sharing the link.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The deal is, Pebble Beach doesn't take reservations more than 24 hours ahead of time unless you stay in one of their hotels (the cheapest is $550 a night). Green fees for hotel guests are $475 and include a cart.

Two-night stay required. Therefore, if you want to plan ahead of time to play there, you're looking at dropping $1,500 for a round and two night's stay.

Draft saved Draft deleted