1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wow! Another music thread! MTV turns 26 today...best acts of the video era?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Aug 1, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

What acts best used the new medium back in the day when, you know, bands made videos?

I think Tom Petty (not our TP) was the most underrated artist of that era. His videos were incredibly creative and always told a story (except I Won't Back Down and Free Fallin). "Into The Great Wide Open" might be my favorite video ever.

Cyndi Lauper, Madonna and Bon Jovi also obviously profited from putting an image to the music. And Michael Jackson is a category unto himself, at least before he went completely apeshit crazy.

Oh wait I was wrong: Metallica's One is the best video ever.

your thoughts?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Duran Duran

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Nothing matches the awesomeness of She's Like the Wind. And I will NOT argue this.

4. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

The first music videos I was exposed to:

[​IMG]

And actually, Duran Duran was one of the first groups to figure out music videos. (Couldn't tell if the sarcasm font was on there, AQB.)

If you're truly talking MTV's infancy -- 1981-83, before Michael Jackson changed the rules for everyone -- Fleetwood Mac, The Police, The Kinks, The Cars and Devo used the format well, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Mira

Mira Member

Duran Duran. Rio and Save a Prayer are beautiful location videos

Peter Gabriel has to be included in the mix, too.

Although I have to say, REO Speedwagon and Leo Sayer are my favs from early MTV.

Reminds me of a comment Bret Bielema made at Big Ten media day the other day. He talked about media hype and attention for a program and he made some reference to "video killing the rock star." And he asked if that was the name of a song. Um, no.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

No love for Korn?

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Girls On Film is Duran Duran's best video.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Van Halen w/ DLR - Jump, Panama, Hot for Teacher

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can't really think of another hard rock band who used it better than they did. You could also had Diamond Dave's solo videos. "It's Dave TV!"

10. Armchair_QB

REO Speedwagon is another good one. Might even be a better choice than Duran Duran. When MTV came out it seemed like every third video was REO.

11. Armchair_QB

Then there's this guy:

[​IMG]

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

Pink Floyd---Learning To Fly.

End of thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted