1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wow, And Some Of You Thought WE Were Bad

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Mar 7, 2007.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

this is the main thing that struck me. it's one thing for an employer to form an opinion based on your myspace page, but these people are awfully thick-headed if they're judging someone based on anonymous internet postings. it's the modern day equivalent of bathroom stall graffiti. Would an employer hiring a student at Podunk State scour the bathrooms for sexually suggestive or derogatory comments? obviously not because a google search is so much easier.

that said, i think gingerbread is right. as internet law develops, we'll see more of these cases and get a clear idea of site owner's responsibility. also, employers will become smart enough to figure out what is and isn't innuendo. that said, it doesn't necessarily mean you can rebuild your reputation.

um, fuck you. ;D ;) /law student three months from graduating and [hopefully if i pass the bar] 7-8 months from being sworn in as a lawyer

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How about this one:

New Canaan man arrested in Web crime

By Alison Damast
    Staff Writer

March 4, 2007

NEW CANAAN - A New Canaan man was being held on $750,000 bond after police investigating a complaint arrested him and said he committed a crime on the Internet.

Albert Hsu, 43, of 139 Beech Road, was arrested Friday at his home on charges that he used a false identity and tried to gain custody of another person against his or her will. Police obtained a warrant and searched Hsu's home after he was taken into custody.

He was charged with trafficking in personal identifying information, first-degree attempted kidnapping, third-degree sexual assault, first-degree reckless endangerment, criminal impersonation and two counts of second-degree harassment. He is to be arraigned tomorrow at state Superior Court in Norwalk.

Hsu, a former Stamford resident, is the co-founder and a managing director of Anchor Point Capital LLC, a New York City-based hedge fund that caters to institutional and high-net-worth investors. He founded the company in June 2005, according to Web sites about financial firms.

Hsu previously served as the U.S. investment officer for the Atlantic Philanthropies, where he managed funds for the $3.8 billion foundation. He also served as the director of investments for the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, a $1 billion foundation.

From 1997 to 2001, he supervised trust investments for Xerox, managing half of the corporation's pension fund plan's $10 billion in assets.

Hsu has been active in the New Canaan community and served as past chairman of the New Canaan Red Cross board of directors. He had been a Cub Scout leader for New Canaan's Pack 70.

New Canaan police would not comment on the charges yesterday. Sgt. Carol Ogrinc, who prepared a police statement on Hsu's arrest, did not return a message left last night.

New Canaan First Selectwoman Judy Neville said she could not comment on the case.

"I am going to defer this to the New Canaan police, because they have the files and the arrest warrant," Neville said. "I know there are issues with what can be said."

A man at Hsu's home said he was not home and hung up the phone last night when asked to comment.

Norwalk police said it sounded like Hsu met someone over the Internet, then tried to have sexual relations with them.

All documents in the investigation have been sealed by state Superior Court in Norwalk.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Why are the documents being sealed? Because the guy's a public figure?

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Good luck getting hired after I go talk about what a great ass you have on AutoAdmit, and how you boned everyone on SportsJournalists.com, you magnificent slut.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Sorry, Leo. Just an incorrect generalization regarding lawyers. I know, I know, I'm guilty of the same thing of which I've accused others.

So how about the death penalty for all lawyers YOU choose. ;)

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

What did you expect, they're lawyers!

EDIT: Wouldn't it make more sense to not hire the ones posting the defamitory comments? Because the way I see it, those doing the hiring are snubbing the ones who were written about. So, then, they must believe what they read on an internet message board, myspace, etc. over the individual seated in front of them for the interview?

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Meanwhile...

Over at the medical school...

My brother has a buddy who's at Yale Medical School.

The buddy started a blog that was critical of some of the professors.

It earned the buddy a year long "break" from medical school, and the blog had to be taken down.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

No one is more catty than lawyers and law students.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I guess your brother's buddy should have started a message board instead.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I still don't know how much I buy the whole "I didn't get hired because of what someone wrote about me on a message board" angle, especially since the Post has nothing to back that up, just speculation. It doesn't excuse any behavior of the asshole posters, but I think it might be a little bit of a stretch to say that some partner in a law firm is looking at job applications and going, "Well, she graduated from Yale, was Phi Beta Kappa, worked on the law review, and was strong in her interview, but when I Google her, it says she used to suck dick in the law library and that she once caddied for Idi Amin in a celebrity golf tournament. After careful consideration, I think I'll have to go with this guy who got his degree from University of SUNY-Buffalo."

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Except for high school coaches.

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Exactly. It's preposterous!

Because in essence they are saying they would hire the people posting the garbage. I don't get it.

Draft saved Draft deleted