1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

This was almost me. My birthday is Sept. 27. The cutoff was Sept. 30/Oct. 1. I think starting school a year later would certainly have made a difference.
    The funny thing is one of buddies missed the cutoff because his birthday is mid Oct., but he got to skip third grade and bumped up with us born the same year.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

When I was a kid there were always a few kids whose parents held them back if their birthdays were in the last month before the cutoff, so the kids wouldn't be young for their grade. No direct experience, but anecdotally, I thought this practice had increased (and not just for 'redshirting').

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Because souls bubble around in a giant radomizer similar to numbered balls in a lottery drawing and are only assigned to bodies at the exact moment of birth, a delay of even a fraction of a second could change everything. I could have just as easily been a Himalayan yak herder or an insurance actuary in Tokyo or West Virginia opioid addict. I would be the same entity, but my life experience might be vastly different.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

This will make me sound bad, but if my partner were about to give birth at 11:55 on Dec. 31, I would ask whether she might be amenable to clamping down for just a few more minutes.

My sons are both February babies, and the second one, the athletic one, has benefitted hugely from it. He's almost always among the biggest kids on his team. Just gets the ball more.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Hey man, do you want to do drugs with me sometime?

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The other side of the story is, if she gets it done before the clock strikes 12, you get the tax benefit for the whole year in which you had a kid for a couple of minutes.

BTExpress likes this.
  7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I was one of the youngest in my class, starting kindergarten before I turned 5. That meant all of my friends got their drivers license as sophomores, but I had to wait until my junior year. It wouldn’t have been a big deal if I lived in town, but I lived in the country 12 miles outside of town, marooned there during the summer.

I more than made up for it later, though.

Driftwood likes this.
  8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I sure enjoyed being able to claim "Married Filing Jointly" on my taxes for 2008 thanks to the 10 days I was married that year.

ChrisLong likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

This. 100% this.

11. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Haven’t read the original post, but I know (original) Rick Stain’s answer.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If I was born one day later, I would have been born on the exact same day as Mark Fidrych. That would have been cool. Instead I share it with David Thompson and Louise Mandrell, nice but not the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted