1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you use this quote?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Dec 4, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This is why I would want to bounce this one off an editor. My first instinct is not to run it and do something like what reformedhack suggested, but if the competition ran with it, that's a tougher call.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I quoted a college baseball player after his team salvaged one win in three games at Long Beach State: "It's about time we hit the frickin' ball."

Boss called me three days later (when the only complaint call came in) to say I shouldn't have written it.

He said we all know what the word stands for. I asked if heck was OK. Yes, he said. I asked if hell was OK. No, he said. We all know what heck stands for, I said.

Finally, he gave me an example of how I could have written it.

Third baseman Chris Hill, in a way that made it clear just how relieved he was, said it was about time the team hit the ball.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Eating ourselves" could be seen as a reference to female contortionist masturbation.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I would never, ever make editorial decisions based on what someone else tweeted.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Extensive journalism experience talking here, folks. Take heed.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This all the way. I think you're wrong to make the decision yourself not to run it, especially if the competition likely will. Even if you're the news editor, if you have a boss, this is a good one to run by them. It's a colorful quote spoken in a public forum by a high-ranking (it's all relative) official.

If I were running the ship, I would have wanted that quote in my paper. I would have wanted that quote high-up in the story.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

frickin should have been allowed at least on the internet edition of the story. my god, we can't print frickin???

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

My issue was more with the lame-ass way he wanted me to write it, with no quote, but trying really hard to let people know the guy really meant what he said that we didn't quote him saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted