1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you use this quote?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Dec 4, 2011.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I think I a becoming a cranky old man, but I do not think I am going to use this quote. (I may paraphrase).

County budget passes, crusty town supervisor stands up and says, "Eighty percent of the budget is unfunded mandates. We're just bending over and taking it with the unfunded mandates. All we are doing is eating ourselves."

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would not use it.

Think of all the potential headaches that could come from running it. I like the "eating ourselves" quote much better.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Maybe he meant a spanking.

4. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

BillyT, as good as it is, I don't think I'd use the quote, either, just to spare myself the inevitable phone call from readers and/or an editor. I think I'd probably paraphrase but keep the kicker.

Supervisor Jones was clearly frustrated by the outcome of the vote, estimating that 80 percent of the budget is attached to unfunded mandates.
    "All we are doing is eating ourselves," Jones said.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Can't use the quote. Not a metaphor you want to encourage. End of story.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Thanks.

I had decided not to use it. I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

The daily reporter at the meeting tweeted it.

I find myself going back and forth, because I read a lot of papers and blogs, and of course there are different standards everywhere.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Depends if your competitor is running it. The lazy suits might think you "got beat" on a story if you didn't run the quote and the competition did.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

He's not missing the story. He's choosing different quotes.

You're making no sense.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He might get in trouble for choosing to have standards in this day and age, though.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Policy here is that we run such language past a glass office, and they decide on a case-by-case basis. Very subjective judgment process here. I don't always agree with the outcome, but I do like our policy of not having a blanket rule. My guess is we'd probably run it.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Run it. He said it, didn't he?

If readers complain, give them the phone number of the town supervisor.

However, I think Frank's paper's policy is correct.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

if its already been Tweeted you almost have to run it, so as not to look like you're shilling for the guy and protecting him from himself.

Generally, though, I agree with Frank's policy and would probably lean towards what reformedhack said. Keep the kicker, might not need the bending over.

Draft saved Draft deleted