1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you touch this story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mark2010, May 12, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I thought he/she was joking.

2. Gravy Boat

Gravy Boat Member

I agree with what jps said above. I just think that if this one particular story is to be done right, you would have to take it almost completely out of the realm of sports. That's all.

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Here's a question for you all, relating to this story. We've had some good debate her about how to approach this story, or if to approach. No where has anyone mentioned the person that did the impregnating. It could be really oogy (which someone did point out), but it could be the track star down the street, too. I'd be interested in reading about the pregnancy from the daddy-to-be point of view. This young woman is missing sports, and presumably some other facets of teen life because she's pregnant. What about the guy? Is he involved? was it hard to step up?

4. JackReacher

I think if you do the story, you have to at least try to track down the father.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

In the last few years, every interview I've done is recorded, no matter what the story. Never want to take any chances, plus it's there if/when someone says, "I didn't say it."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

I recorded every interview for features and important gamers. The mid-season hoops game, not so much. Always carried it to those games, though, just in case something crazy happened.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Hopefully, that would be part of the story, of course.

8. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Unless you have permission from the girl and her parents to do a story...YOU STAY AWAY. 

High school students are not to be treated like college or pro players. Say health reasons or personal issues. Do we report when the tuba player gets knocked up, or that the QB banged the coaches daughter?

The only angle I can see that is even remotely worthwhile is that she had a promising athletic career halted by pregnancy. IF it was unwanted, it could be a lesson for others. If it was intentional, you can get into her mind and wonder why she wants kids so early.

But, she isn't Britney Spears,writers should have a wall around minor high school athletes. It is a journalists responsibility to show discretion.

Are you going to ask who the father is? How conception happened and how life is working out with the baby's daddy?

Even if it is agreed too, this story gives me the willies. What happens if you end up glorifying teen pregnancy?

I don't find teenage pregnancy and a high school team losing the top softball player as a news item of absolute must important. Unless she is Jenny Finch reincarnated, it's not a big deal when you step away. Honestly, is girls softball really that important? Is this player really a great player nationally? Or is she a good local player.

Lastly, how can you be honest in writing this story? She either had an unwanted pregnancy or is having kids as a teenager by choice(which is worse?)

Do you want to write a story portraying her struggles in a negative light? I just will not do that to a high school GIRL.

And,a notebook item? You gonna say congratulations or something?

STAY AWAY.

Edit: I will say the only way this story is worthwhile is an issue piece. You have to find another hook. Perhaps she isn't the only athlete who gave up a promising career. It can't be about this one player unless she is the top ranked player in the country or something like that.

I agree. People want to know not because it's news, but rather it's voyeurism about a high school girls sex life.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Did you see someone suggesting that you do the story if the parents and the girl are unwilling?

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Seriously. Here's a neat little excercise. Try reading the thread before responding.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It's all in the handling, jfs1000.

No, in the overall scheme of things, high school softball is not that important.

But if you are a high school softball beat writer, and trying to do the best job possible on your beat, it behooves you to try to get this story. It's your job, certainly, to at least make the effort.

Likewise, if you are said beat writer, it should be just as important to you, and at least as newsy, if the girl is out because of a pregnancy as it would be if she was sitting out with a torn ACL. On that level, at least, they are the same thing, and if I can publicly identify one reason, then, if at all possible and short of there being some legal reason not to do so, I'd like to be able to do the same with the other condition.

Beyond that, it would depend on the level of cooperation gained and be up to the reporter and editor, and their skills as such, whether the idea could or should be taken farther.

But giving "personal reasons" as an explanation for an absence (or a resignation -- another common usage of that phrase) usually just means you don't actually know what the reason is.

And that's how it reads.

12. ringer

ringer Active Member

If you get the OK from the girl to do the story...the reaction of her teammates are going to tell you a lot. Make sure they have a voice in the piece. You might find that they're very supportive.

Pregnancy - whether intentional or not - is part of life.

Be professional about it and don't treat it like some taboo or scandal and you'll have a fine story. Respect all sides and it will absolutely make a fine sports story. Sports, after all, are just a microcosm of life.

Draft saved Draft deleted