1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you subscribe?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Jan 13, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I recently accepted a job outside the newspaper business, and I will be relocating to Northern Virginia next week. One of my first thoughts was....I need to get a subscription to the Washington Post.

So today, I ordered 26 weeks of the Post for $25; not a bad deal for someone who hasn't paid for a newspaper subscription in nearly a decade. I can live with that. The rate increases after the first 26 weeks, but chances are, I'll still pay up.

For those of you who have left the biz....did you buy a subscription to your local paper?
    For those of you still in the biz....do you have a copy delivered each day whether you pay for it or not?

I know circulations are dropping all over the place, but I just can't imagine starting my day without the newspaper. I wish more people felt that way.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I live in DC too, but I read the Post online.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

If I didn't get a free subscription to the paper I write for, I'd subscribe to a newspaper for no other reason than to get the Sunday coupons. That pays for the paper. But like you Ryan, I can't imagine a morning without a newspaper.

4. times38

times38 Member

cue the "why subscribe when they give it away for FREE WAAAAAAAAAAAAH" crowd.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I subscribe to a daily and two magazines.

6. And why wouldn't people think that way, smart guy?

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You joke, but it's true. Especially with the recession, I think we'll see numbers drop again. I could easily see the rational, "Not only is money tight, but I can get the news for free online."

I'm not renewing my subscription, which ended last weekend, to the local paper, and I get it half price since I work there. FWIW, I'm also in that camp that believes if you work for a newspaper, you should subscribe to it. If you don't, why would you expect anyone else to buy it? That said, saving cash is more important right now.

8. Perfect 10 and Hustler thank you for your support.

I would subscribe to my paper, but I live in a suburb that gets a shitty edition with little late news.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Don't work for the local major metro but pay $5 a month for a Thurs and Sun subscription, mostly because my wife likes the Sunday pile of ads. And yes, I just read the entire sports section, e-mailed to my inbox. If they stopped that tomorrow, I'd pony up for the daily. But of course that's not happening.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Funny you say that. My wife is on vacation this week and she had on Regis and Kelly this morning and they had a guy who wrote a book about "being richer than you think you are" or something like that.

The fourth thing he said to do to save money each year was to . . . cancel newspaper subscriptions.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I used to subscribe to the Post, then after another round of layoffs I called and canceled and told them exactly why. I said I could get it for free online, and besides the print edition has stuff that was online the day before, so why should I pay? I even admitted I'd pay to read it online. This was sometime last April or so.

I'm still getting it delivered to my door every day.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

There are many things to do to become more wealthy, i.e. trim the fat, and eliminating subscriptions to the newspaper, magazines or other frivolous expenditures are part of that process.

So is getting rid of cable television. Who will do that to save expenses? Not many people. They see cable as something to forget about life's problems while they're melting their brain cells watching Survivor or Dancing with the Stars. They don't see newspapers as a getaway.

I would consider subscribing but it would depend on where I lived. The Post? Definitely. Any Tribune paper? Not a chance. Podunk Rag? Doubtful.

Draft saved Draft deleted