1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you start a LH golfer playing RH?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 10, 2008.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

My wife is interested in learning to play golf. She is left-handed. I know a lot of lefties play golf right handed because that's the way they start and clubs are easier to find. She has never played, so she wouldn't have to "unlearn" anything if she did play RH. However, I'm wondering if that makes a tough game even tougher. Or does being a lefty have its own problems that could just be avoided if she starts playing RH?

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I thought this thread was going to be about Cesar Izturis.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If she's well-versed in swinging a softball bat, or perhaps a hockey stick, left-handed, it could present a problem using a different muscle set.

Otherwise, it shouldn't be a big deal. Phil Mickelson is right-handed in everything, but left-handed as a golfer since he was mirroring his father's swing. He turned out OK.

There's no doubt it would make equipment easier to find and perhaps customize.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'm a natural lefty. As a right-handed golfer, I suck hard. As a left-handed golfer, I tend more towards the lower end of mediocrity. Count me as convinced that it makes a difference.

5. Dedo

Dedo Member

Let her play left-handed. Trust me.

I'm a lefty, and when I was a kid, my dad (also a southpaw) bought a cheap set of used right-handed clubs for me. His theory was that he didn't want golf to screw with my baseball swing, and he'd always had a hard time finding lefty clubs for himself.

Well, I was so frustrated swinging right-handed that I pretty much gave up the idea of golf altogether. Then, when I went to college and my baseball days were over, my dad agreed to let me use his old set of lefty clubs. My first trip to the course with those suckers was one of those "Eureka!" moments. I'm no Mickelson, but it makes a world of difference when you're swinging the club the way your body wants you to. And I've never had a problem finding lefty sticks. Most shops carry a solid assortment, and if yours doesn't, you can always find anything you need online.

The only issue your wife will have to deal with is teachers/magazines that use terms like "right hand, left elbow" instead of "top hand, front elbow." But after a while, you get used to hearing "right foot" and processing it as "left foot" without even thinking about it. Making those mental adjustments is a hell of a lot easier than hitting a shot swinging the wrong way. Have you ever tried brushing your teeth with your off-hand? Surprisingly difficult. So I wouldn't recommend trying to hit a 4-iron out of a fairway bunker that way.

6. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I'm a lefty who played golf right-handed for 15+ years. A few years ago I switched to lefty and wished I had done so sooner.

Some reasons why to stick with left-handed:

a) I could not swing a baseball bat right-handed to save my life. If your wife is the same way, then she might lose a lot of distance playing right-handed.

b) A golf swing can be awkward when first starting out. If she had to learn a swing, and then re-learn it a second time, that might be too much.

c) I throw right-handed. Therefore, my leading (pulling) hand is my right hand, which means I can bring the club through my downswing quicker. I bet I added 75 yards off my drives by switching. If your wife throws righty, there's another reason.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I wouldn't start a lefty golfer playing righty. If I were a lefty playing golf, I'd probably insist on playing lefty. If I were a lefty, I'd want a left-hander's guitar.

I'm right-handed with most everything in my life, but I can throw a frisbee better with my left hand. I kick a soccer ball a little more accurately with my left and when I freestyle swim, I come up on my left side.

Color me weird.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

If I tried to swing a golf club lefty, it would be a disaster. I switch-hit a little in baseball in HS, but was never really viable left-handed. Let the woman play the way she was meant to. The only actual impediment would be the bias of how courses are set up, and that would be more than made up for my how much more she'll enjoy the game swinging naturally.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Thanks guys. Looks I can probably find her some cheap lefty used clubs on Ebay, just till we find out if she's actually interested or not. If she is, we can get her good clubs later.

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I'm a righty who swings a bat righty, golfs righty, but shots left-handed in hockey. It's all just a matter of comfort level. Take her out to the driving range and do a bucket or two of balls. Let her swing one way a little and then the other.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Well, if your wife is really cool ...

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

A lot of teaching professionals urge their lefties to switch, mainly because they have trouble visualizing and then verbalizing the opposite when they try to teach something. Johnny Miller, who was a converted left-hander, still urges teachers to switch kids around.

Two other factors: most golf courses are designed for right-handers who slice -- in other words, they put a lot of the sand, water and woods on the left. But left-handers slice just as frequently as right-handers, so they're hitting right into the trouble.

Then there's the equipment thing. A friend of mine who owns an Edwin Watts said his ratio of right to left equipment is about 10-1. But he said it's easier to get left-handed clubs and they come quicker when ordered.

All that said, let her swing left. There's something prejudicial about forcing a natural lefty to go right.

Draft saved Draft deleted