1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you run this pic?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DemoChristian, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Here's the caption:

"U.S. gymnast Shawn Johnson waits for her next performance during the womens' gymnastics individual all-around finals at the Beijing 2008 Olympics in Beijing, Friday, Aug. 15, 2008."

Oh, now I get it.

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Took a call from a guy one night who swore that we had a picture of a high school basketball player where you could see his package. We had like 10 people in the office look at the same photo and none of them saw it. Besides that, what hoops player goes commando under his uni.

He was the one insane reader that you all refer to. Some people would find the gymnast shot offensive. I, on the other hand, think it is a good photo.

3. One of my old shops got huge complaints after it ran a photo of Dave Barry sitting on a toilet and reading a paper on the front of its entertainment section.

Imagine if he'd been sitting on a balance beam.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm in the "pic isn't offensive, really (well, shouldn't be, but will be to some) but there are better pictures to run anyway" camp.

5. accguy

accguy Member

I wouldn't have run that photo only because it doesn't really tell the story of the night. To me, the first shot looks awkward. I don't look at it and say, 'yep, that's the winner.'

Plus, I would rather run a shot where you can see her face when it isn't upside down.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Oh absolutely. You never see anything sexual on TV or the movies. Nothing but churning butter and wearing black and praising the Lord in Olde English.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Heh. Thanks, Oggie. Now I'm very glad I didn't click on it.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

No way this would catch more hell than the Shae-Lynn Bourne nip slip we ran in '02. :D

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Better than this ad:
    http://commercial-archive.com/d138bfd7bb6f0663dcc71c6b82557c00/2006/april/creamsicle.jpg

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Was that in Pedophiles Weekly?

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Here we go again . . .

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

But the photo itself is actually just a poor photo. We wouldn't run it becuase it sucks as a shot. There are dozens better.

But if you want creepy photog vibes, just check out the beach volleyball shots from Athens and this year. 90 percent butts, 10 percent actual action.

Draft saved Draft deleted