1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you run the name

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Desk_dude, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

Four football stars at Glades Central in Florida may be charged with sexual assault. They have been suspended from the team.
    The Palm Beach Post has run the names but TV outlets are not listing the names because they are juveniles:

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Yes, their names have been in the paper all year. You can't say they are suspended from the team without naming them or giving a reason why. It might be different if they weren't on the team or the team's season was over, but there is a price for fame.
  3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Good grief.
  4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Am I missing something? Were these boys charged by the police or arrested? Even if they were, I would go with no. But if they were not charged or arrested, hell no.

And the quote from Mr. Jones is an all-timer.
  5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Well, you have to explain to your readers why the players have been suspended. Get a violation of team rules, etc., and name the players that way. Let the readers connect the dots.
  6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What if the police never charge these boys?
  7. JR

JR Active Member

How old are these guys?

Up here you can't publish the names of any person under the age of 18 who is charged or may be charged with a crime
  8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If they're 18, you write based off the police report. If not, you ask the coach why they're suspended and hope he says.
    If not, you set it up so your readers can connect the dots - but you better be damn sure the four suspended players are being suspended for the reason you're implying.

JR - even if someone else says they're the acccused?
  9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What the fuck is wrong with that town? That shit is as bad as the Joe Paterno apologists. Jesus Christ.
  10. JR

JR Active Member

Not sure what you mean but no, you cannot publish the name of a young offender unless he/she is tried in adult court.

Under the Young Offenders Act, the youth’s name was not published unless he or she was tried in adult court. The YCJA prohibits any publication of names or information that could lead to identifying a young person who has been dealt with under the YCJA. The exceptions to this rule are youth who receive an adult sentence or are presently missing and considered dangerous and “unlawfully at large.
  11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

You don't have to mention anything about any charges, or any crime. But readers will want to know why four stars didn't play in the game, and it's your job to report why they weren't in the game.

Put this on the coach, the AD, whoever. I would tell them that I need a reason, and when pressed, they can say 'No comment.' But again, I would name the players who didn't play.
  12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

There are no restrictions in the US. Newsrooms generally set their own policies. In mine, we typically do not name a juvenile unless they are charged in adult court.
Draft saved Draft deleted