1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would You Rather: Explain sex or violence to your your child?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jan 4, 2019.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Say your innocent child saw two graphic images. One of a sexual act (let's consider it a 'standard' act) and one of one person killing another.

What do you think would be easier to explain? Which would worry you more? Why?

Some may have already done this before, which one was harder for you?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Such an interesting question. The odd thing is we worry that seeing one thing will screw our kid up for life so it's highly regulated, when the other has probably definitely screwed some kids up for life aand we do nothing (for the most part).
    Imagine if they saw the same amount of animated sex that they see of animated violence in cartoons? Or the same level of sex. Person gets shot equalling a couple having sex on TV. Interesting question.
    Great documentary on the topic "This Film is Not Yet Rated" if you haven't seen it yet.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Our 10-year-old daughter has seen some racy content, and my wife has talked to her about sex, but we try to shield her from the worst stories of violence on the TV. I think the latter can cause a lot more anxiety in a child β€” ours included β€” than a non-graphic sex scene. As far as we know, she's never even seen a topless scene, but I'm sure that's coming.

Her knowledge of sex is the penis goes into the vagina, moves around "and hope for the best."

Big Circus, wicked and John B. Foster like this.
  4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

What about violent sex?

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

In Florida, you have to do both at the same time...At the family cookout.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Hey, she knows what the average 19-year-old American male knows.

(I realize this no longer applies to the younger generation, but it worked for the joke.)

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It’s pretty much the extent of my expertise.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Phillip Rivers just registered an account on SJ and has no idea why.

Draft saved Draft deleted