1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you rather date the blind or the deaf?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mike311gd, Jul 17, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm watching Seinfeld right now (of course) -- that's when I do some of my best thinking -- and I got to wondering about that question. Would I rather date the blind or the deaf?

I think I'd go with the deaf because she'd be more independent, relatively speaking. I wouldn't have to make sure every detail is in order so she'd know where things are and wouldn't trip over anything. Although it'd be real frustrating signing everything, assuming she couldn't read lips well. But I'd learn it the best I could.

I don't have much experience with either disability. My grandpa is going deaf, and it's very tough conversing with him -- though the Alzheimer's has something to do with that, too. So obviously my generalizations are brewed from mostly hearsay and what I've seen on television, movies and what I've seen in nursing homes and hospitals.

Here's the dialogue in the scene:

Jerry: ... The question is whether you'd rather date the blind or the deaf.
    Elaine: Ah ...
    George: Now you're off on a topic.
    Jerry: You know, I think, I would rather date the deaf.
    Elaine: Uh hu.
    Jerry: Because I think the blind would probably be a little messier around the house. And lets face it they're not going to get all the crumbs. I'd possibly be walking around with a sponge.
    George: You see I disagree. I'd rather be dating the blind. You know you could let the house go. You could let yourself go. A good looking blind woman doesn't even know you're not good enough for her.
    Elaine: I think she'd figure it out.
  2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I don't know if I have the luxury of choosing.
  3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I'm going with the blind, I love having conversations with women.
  4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah, I'm not exactly on the choosers' side, either.
  5. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

Wait ... you think?! This is too much for me to handle.

I'd probably rather date the blind. That way they wouldn't have to be subjected to the ugliness that is forever_town.

On an actually serious note, in my opinion, if a blind person loves you, that love is based on something they see with their heart.
  6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'd date the deaf, dumb and blind girl.

Apparently, she'd be pretty good at pinball.
  7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah, but you'd never get a turn, GB. I think you'd get bored pretty easily.
  8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Maybe, but think of the bar bets you could win.
  9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's true. And if she's got the right amount of grease on the paddles, you're made.
  10. Do they even have pinball machines anymore, much less in bars?

How good is she at Golden Tee?
  11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Oh yeah, you just need to know where to look.
Draft saved Draft deleted