1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you prefer to live in Vancouver, Seattle or Portland

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by LanceyHoward, Jan 11, 2018.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying, but it seems to me that WRT working for THOSE companies . . . you could be located in India and it wouldn't matter.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They've tried that -- in Austin and Raleigh anyway, if not India -- and found it didn't meet their needs. There's big value in having people together.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

With no actual knowledge of house prices there anymore, I would guess at $2 million, give or take a couple hundred grand. I didn't stay on the job for the whole remodel/rebuild.

4. LongTimeListener

You're probably right, @swingline. It doesn't take much to get to $1M in Portland these days either.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Among the other insane numbers in that story:

And if you can't afford to buy, it's not like rents are a bargain, either. Brutal housing market.

7. LongTimeListener

U-Haul prices reflect growing push to leave Silicon Valley

“They’re almost paying people to get the trucks back into San Jose,” he said in an interview. That suggests “there’s a huge outflow, and a lot of outbound moves leaving the area, and very few moves coming in.”

Moving from San Jose to Las Vegas, Nevada? You’ll shell out $945 to rent a 10-foot U-Haul truck, and $1,990 to rent a 26-foot truck, for up to four days, according to the U-Haul website. But make the move in the other direction, and you’ll pay $119 for a 10-foot truck and $132 for a 26-foot truck.

Moving to Phoenix, Arizona from San Jose is the same — $119 for the smallest truck, and $132 for the largest. But a trip from San Jose to Phoenix costs $618 and $1,301.

maumann likes this.
  8. LongTimeListener

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There's no need to even mention the house anymore. Cause it's never the house they're buying.

"9,400-square foot piece of land in Bay Area sells for $1.23 million."

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

That's $130.85 a square foot, just for the land alone.

MATH ALERT: I own 1.8 acres (78,408 square feet) here in northeast Georgia, so not including the standing structures, my property would be valued at $10,259,686 there. (It's more like $250,000 here, most of that being the cabin and standalone garage, according to the county assessor.)

Which brings up three things: 1. My God, the taxes! 2. Boy, am I glad we gave up and moved away from northern California in 1991, although photos of Mount Diablo still bring a tear to the eyes. 3. Wonder how many U-Hauls I'd need to haul 1.8 acres of Georgia clay, sandstone and trees back to Walnut Creek?

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Was just in Seattle last weekend and it rained nearly 2" in one day and guess what? 90% of people don't use an umbrella, think its being weak, and then there's the bonus of walking around with water logged pants up to your knees. Still a gorgeous city.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

My favorite Seattle story...

I was there in late June and walking to the ballpark. I stopped in at a shop just to verify directions and the guy said as I left, "it's pretty warm out there." The temperature listed on the bank's clock across the street was 65.

Draft saved Draft deleted