1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you prefer to live in Vancouver, Seattle or Portland

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by LanceyHoward, Jan 11, 2018.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It actually rains more in the south than it does in the Northwest - the precip is just more frequent in the NW. And yeah - umbrella's ARE weak. Most Oregonians look like they're ready for a boat shift on Deadliest Catch, hoodie or fleece under a rain slicker and a ball cap or a beanie. And that's when it's really raining.

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This thread reminds me of the hills in Seattle. My friend lives atop one of them. I absolutely hate walking up them.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

There's a great view at the top of Queen Anne hill (see below) ... but walking down is even worse than climbing up, at least for my knees.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

6. I Should Coco

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

In fairness, Starbucks, Boeing and a lot of other companies were pissed too. Amazon isn’t the only one to blame.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Taxing headcount for large employers?
    That's not good for the long-term economic health of your city.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One story I saw said Seattle was spending $78 million on homelessness this year, up from about $68 million last year. Not exactly an insignificant amount, which makes you wonder what the hell they're spending it on if the problem is getting exponentially worse and also if another $47 million is going to do much except be a starting point for this tax.

11. I Should Coco

Not to mention all the money private organizations (YMCA, Salvation Army) and churches spend to help the homeless.

It's a huge problem in a lot of west coast cities, including the three we're discussing in this thread.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I’ve been to Seattle a few times now. Homeless camps are common in or near downtown, especially under I-5.

Amazon has lots of highly paid employees who are driving up rents and property prices. So does Microsoft.

Draft saved Draft deleted