1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you pick up Jered Weaver in a fantasy-head-to-head league?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sea Bass, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

His stats are eye-popping for his first four starts, none of which I've seen. But there are rumblings he'll be back in AAA when Colon comes of the DL, and who knows what he'll be like the second time he goes through the AL West.

Anyhow, would you pick him up? I'd have to drop a guy and the ones I'd consider would be Jake Westbrook, Casey Janssen, or Jeff Francis.

Any thoughts?

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I'd take Weav in a second, although news that he might get sent down isn't good. Pick him up while you can. I'd drop any of the three you listed.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

They should send Jeff down to AAA.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Rumblings out here in SoCal say ... Little Weaver's probably getting sent down for now, only to make way for the reigning AL Cy Young winner, but he won't be in Salt Lake for long. If you got an extra bench spot, pick him up now and stick him at the bottom of your roster until he's back in a few weeks.

That said, he hasn't been through the league a second time around. No telling how he does against teams not named "Baltimore," "Kansas City," "Tampa Bay" and "Minnesota," as his first four starts -- albeit outstanding starts -- were against.

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I dumped Westbrook for Jered Weaver and would do it again ... Westbrook doesn't get you too many Ks and his ERA was hurting me more that it was helping (a win here and there). ... and I dumped Jeff Weaver for good measure.

I haven't lost too many pitching categories since I made the move and have increased my lead in the league to 10 games already.

6. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Ask 'yourbuddy' for advice. He's got a pipeline to Rob Neyer.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I picked up Jered Weaver and cut Doug Davis, who wasn't doing great things for my ERA.

If he's going to go down, you might just keep an ear out for when he's coming back up and jump on that a week before they call him up.

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

You're being generous with that assessment.

Ever notice that whenever Weaver, Jeff is on SportsCenter, you always see him giving up the long ball and smacking his glove in disgust? He's seen so many of his pitches go out of the yard, he can probably spin his head around like Linda Blair in "The Exorcist."

But to answer your question, I would. Especially since only four teams have faced him at the plate, instead of just reading the scouting report and watching film. No one figured out Mark Fidrych for a season, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted