1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you pay $50 to watch first-run movies at home the day they're released in theaters?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 10, 2016.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

No. I love the movie-going experience, though I think I've seen a total of three movies in the theater in the past four years (not for lack of desire, just lack of time).

I think $25-$30 is fair, but I wouldn't pay it simply out of support for theaters. As good as my home theater is, it's not an IMAX.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

$50 for a single dude in an apartment or even a couple? Eh, probably not. $50 for a family of five or six? That's not bad at all. You could probably get groups together and have parties for certain releases and the cost would be real bargain.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

No, unless you get enough people over and start an orgy. Got to make it worth $50.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The interesting part is that they already do this on a small scale and the cost is like $10. I can't think of a specific example, but I know I've seen the option to stream movies that are in theaters on Vudu and maybe Verizon On Demand.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Verizon on Demand gets them faster than Netflix, but later than theater release premiere. As for the $50 idea, fuck no. I don't see enough first-run movies to make that worth my while/

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The On Demand is bit of fraud. It first comes On Demand, but only to purchase for $20+. After a few weeks it then becomes available to rent for less than $6. We want to see Brooklyn, but I won't pay 20 dollars to 'own' it. I'll wait for the rental. Or even come to HBO, SHO, CNMAX, TMC, EPIX ...

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is the worst torture I could think of. You'd hear less than 50 percent of the dialogue.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pay $50 to have the actors come play it out for me.

9. Jake_Taylor

@LongTimeListener It would suck for the next Wes Anderson or Coen Brothers movie, but could be fun for certain shoot 'em ups or gross out comedies. When I was young and stupid a bunch of us tailgated for Old School. I could see getting a keg at home for that instead.

Fly likes this.
  10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

So, Jake, I can pencil you in as the host of the SJ viewing party for My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2?

LongTimeListener likes this.
  11. Jake_Taylor

Maybe Anchorman 3.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You tailgated for Old School....Jesus Christ, that's awesome.

Fly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted