1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you kindly please just shut the f*&# up?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Re: Would you kindly please just shut the f*&# up?

A freely elected president who behaves like a dictator is worse.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Whatever you think of the elections -- remembering that those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones -- Chavez has been elected, what, three times, now?

Not endorsing any of his policies, or him as a human being, just saying.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Um, hate to rain on your parade, but the election that first brought Chavez to power was far more democratically legitimate than that which put Bush in office.

4. jmm1412

jmm1412 Member

Chavez was elected. Twice. And survived a recall vote (not to mention a coup attempt). The validity of the actual numbers in those elections has been questioned, but for the most part the results have been given a lukewarm greenlight by international election observers. (From the OAS and the Carter Center, I think.) Chavez is a rabble-rouser and a punk, of sorts, but he's been elected. Jackasses can stomp onto the international stage without being dictators.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Twice elected, one recall vote. Is that right?

I wish I could say I was sure. I'm an educated man, but I can't speak intelligently about the election history of Hugo Chavez or the travel habits of PFC William Santiago.

6. But I'm sure you'll be well-versed in the travel habits of Johan Santana this offseason ;D

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Are U friggin' being serious right now? If he lives through another 20 years of election cycles down there, you can say he's been "ELECTED" 23 times for all I care. The truth is the guy is pond scum and a dictator. I wonder if we can actually find any of his citizens that didn't officially vote for him and are willing to talk about it on the record?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, please.

Chavez is a buffoon but he's no more a dictator than Fredo.

9. jmm1412

jmm1412 Member

He's not a dictator. He's actually fairly popular down there. It's a prosperous country — thanks to petro money — and he throws gobs of that money back into the economy in the form of an unprecedented public works program. They're building lots o' stuff. And he's even more popular because of the public back and forth with the U.S. and the West. He's their guy, and they like that he's standing up to the West. Of course, most of the world thinks he's something of a clown, but most of the world doesn't vote in Venezuela.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Brings back memories of one of the more entertaining troll-jacks in SJ history.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Doesn't it, though? ;) Glad someone picked up on it.

And Red, just because you don't like his politics, doesn't mean he didn't get elected.

Unlike, say, Musharraf in Pakistan or the VW full of clowns in Saudia Arabia.

You know, our partners in peace.

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Make him out to be an FDR. With big lips, a multicolored face and hobo clothes.

Draft saved Draft deleted