1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you hire your "sports editor?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diddly Poo, Jun 29, 2006.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

One thing some of us of a certain age have had to grapple with is the change in the role of "sports editor" over the past couple of decades ... in a lot of shops, the SE was the most experienced writer who had worked his way up the ladder. Management was something of an afterthought, or was left to somebody down the line (the slot guy, for instance). Somewhere along the line, the "professional manager" invaded the field.

Not everybody adapted well to the change. Some papers are still in denial on this point.

The best and worst SEs I have worked with were both at USA Today. To have that happen consecutively was odd but ultimately instructive.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've had three SEs in 26 years. The first one was a true newsman, but not a good administrator. No. The second one was a disastrous yes-man. No. The third and current one is somebody who runs a department well, has your back with the higher-ups and delegates responsibility effectively. I'd hire him in a heartbeat.

3. accguy

accguy Member

I would hire my current sports editor. Now my direct supervisor/ASE? No chance in hell.

4. BarbersGmen

BarbersGmen Member

Ditto, my boss rocks.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My SE deserves a massive raise.

Draft saved Draft deleted