1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you hire your "sports editor?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diddly Poo, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Diddly Poo

Diddly Poo Guest

Why? Why not? Do you trust your "sports editor?" Why/why not? Do think your "sports editor" could read this and grasp that he/she is guilty of why people answer what they answer?

2. JME

JME Member

Too much juice?

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I'd say:

"We need someone young with fire in their belly and a gleam in their eye. Hit the road, Jack."

4. Diddly Poo

Diddly Poo Guest

JME: it's a simple inquiry.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You say you aren't on juice, but would you be willing to pee in a cup?

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

how about a blood test?

7. Diddly Poo

Diddly Poo Guest

Let me break the record first, OK?

8. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Break the record, I can always find creative ways to use asterisks on my page.

As for the initial question, not to be an arrogant sob, but I think I would hire myself again to be a sports editor elsewhere.

9. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

No, I wouldn't.

I could get vicious, but let me just leave at this: I have enough self-determination and drive to push myself, but it would be nice to have someone above me give me that extra kick and challenge me with tougher story ideas, help me flourish where my talents are best suited, give me feedback and not restrict me. That doesn't exist for me.

10. PressRowHack

PressRowHack New Member

I read on here a lot, never post, but thought this was an interesting topic.

I'd have to say no I would not, and honestly, it's for a lot of the same reasons tonysoprano mentioned. There isn't enough desire on his part to be anything other than just a figure head in the chair. His copy can be very sloppy and seldom makes sense, just no point to it, kinda shocking and does not set a good example for what an SE should be.

11. I guess I'm lucky...I'd hire my SE (D.R.) in a heartbeat. I'd seek him out and hire him. I'd find a way to can another guy just so I could bring him in.

12. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

I've worked for three sports editors during my career (the fourth doesn't count since he was only around for a cup of coffee), and if I were in position to hire them, I'd cancel all other interviews and hire them on the spot.
    Case closed.

Draft saved Draft deleted