1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you have let this get into print?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Full of Shit, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

From Tuesday's Boston Herald, columnist Gerry Callahan talks about how he thinks Peyton Manning will fare against the Patriots:

"It is always fun to watch a great competitor stare down his demons on the field of play, but we can’t help but think that, at the end of this day, poor Peyton is going to end up like Saddam’s half-brother - his head a few yards away from his body.

At least one former editor of mine would have beheaded me and the writer if this had made it to print. And it would have been deserved.

Have at it, kiddies.

2. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Too soon! Then again, my editors take out occassional criticisms of Republicans that somehow get into my auto racing columns.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It wouldn't, ummm, cut it where I work. But the Herald is a tabloid, and this is in good taste compared with what appears in, say, the New York Post, which after the Saddam verdict drew a noose around his neck on the front page with the headline: GOOD NOOSE!

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Awful. Not even funny.

String him up, I say.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That really is bad. That's the kind of thing that would get people fired at a few places.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

At least he didn't leave his readers hanging.

The line probably should have been chopped from the story but, let's face it -- this is a cut-throat business. To get a head in life, one must not only have a strategy but also be able to execute it.

I doubt very much that Callahan thought he'd be sticking my neck out here. It would really be a shame if heads were to roll over this issue.

Gerry, you're among friends here. Feel free to reach out; I can't speak for others, but I know what it feels like to be at the end of my rope.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I've had it with this senseless, over-sensationalizing for the sake of reaction.
    My patience frayed. I'm at the end of my rope.

8. WSKY

WSKY Member

It works in a big market like that. But at my place, not so much. Personally, I like it.

9. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I'd leave it.

Get fired over that?

Get a grip.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I've posted this before, but here's a line a reporter tried to sneak past me at my college paper:

" The Hometown U guards bombed from outside like US planes over Iraq."

It was cut.

11. There are always two distinct arguments here.

1) Should this appear in print?
    2) And, once it does, should it HAVE appeared in print?

The first one is one we've all faced. It's the essence of writing for newspapers that also employ editors, which, I'm told, some still do.
    The second one is more problematic. More times than I can count, editors let something like this go and then hide when it hits the fan. If you print it, stand by it.
    That said, the comparison is childish and dumb.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Didn't say I agreed that it should get someone fired, but I know more than one place where the powers that be are tightly-wound enough to fire a reporter over writing something like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted